• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The ultimate kong filling?

Lynne

So the power of the kong is amazing. It is the champion of all our teddy toys. Especially at our meal times. We have discovered that a kong filled with very low fat cream cheese and then frozen keeps him occupied for atleast 15 minutes, whilst we enjoy our meals in peace.

We are wondering about swapping this for lactose free 'cream cheese' which is the same low fat content but no dairy?

Does anyone else have a favourite fillling for the magnificent kong?

How did BellaMia get on, which ones did you try? i personally love peanut butter and if we have it in the house, it will be calling to me, nevermind teddy. i wonder if the peanut butter might be too fatty and rich for his little puppy belly?
Quite fancy trying him on the frozen banana, yoghurt and the sweet potato too.

If using peanut butter it needs to be a small amount -- and cut back on overall calories. It could not be the binder for an entire kong -- that would be most of the dog's calories right there in the peanut butter! :lol: Could be mixed into a little yoghurt or low fat cream cheese though? Mashed banana is a good lower cal binder for kong items.

It can take dogs a good while to figure out kongs. Generally they eventually do. :)

The only problem with always giving one at human mealtimes -- instead of training a downstay, or crating -- is that the dog is then trained to always expect food at that time, 2-3 times a day, and can make a ruckus if not given it. Just be sure to keep in mind potential unintended consequences! :) Totally ignoring a begging dog and teaching a downstay are a good combo. Never ever treat a dog from a table if you don;t want the dog doing this annoying behaviour ALL the time as they will associate people at the table with food distribution time...

Also always remember a kong has food totalling about half to a whole cavalier meal so really needs to be used sparingly if filled with food. Using chopped carrots frozen in. etc is a way of getting the value of the kong without the calories. I actually sometimes would just wipe a half teaspoon of peanut butter around the inside of a kong with one finger, and that's it --will also keep them busy for ages.

How did BellaMia get on, which ones did you try? i personally love peanut butter and if we have it in the house, it will be calling to me, nevermind teddy. i wonder if the peanut butter might be too fatty and rich for his little puppy belly?
Quite fancy trying him on the frozen banana, yoghurt and the sweet potato too.

I tried the mashed banana with some of her kibble, both frozen and at room temperature. Also tried her wet food with kibble. She honestly had no interest in working for her food and after a few licks and sniffs, just walked away.

I hope you have better luck with Teddy.

Misty loves a frozen mashed banana and goats milk yogurt, Murphy prefers his plain, he's not a fan of banana.

We use the low fat St Helens Farm yogurt as it's a good probiotic one :)

Both of my dogs love their kongs but I make it so it is part of their daily food allowance and feed less at mealtimes. For fillings I use a high quality wet food and will mix in plain yogurt, cottage cheese, organic mix veggies, sometimes peanut butter, pumpkin puree, shredded cheese, mashed banana, sometimes blueberries, baked chicken, tuna fish. I obviously don't put all of this stuff in one kong, but it is usually two or three of these things and I always use the wet food as the main base. I always freeze them so they don't devour them so quickly. Remy, my cav, has the small size which holds maybe 2 TBS of mixture.

How do you keep your house from smelling like rotting banana, tuna, yogurt, etc? Bentley Boy grabs a prize treat and runs to the carpeted area to enjoy it, both in our previous house & the new one. His "everyday" treat, which is a 1/4 inch piece of Pupperoni, is just grabbed and eaten on the kitchen tile but once a day we give him a more special treat. I'd like to try the kong again but don't particularly want soft foods on my carpet.

Many people give messy treats in the dog's crate. :) Or close doors so they are confined to the kitchen?

Teddy also has the puppy kong, and freezing it keeps everything quite solid in there. It doesnt really hang around long enough to melt eitherso not messy at the moment. I shall definately try him on frozen carrot in there too to lessen the fat content.

Must say the non dairy very low fat 'cream cheese' substitute has gone down very well. He has finished that and has now moved on to my reading glasses!

Back