Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surgery scheduled for Thursday 4/4!

Post Thanks / Like

You must be so relieved that the surgery is over. Just take it one day at a time with Winston's recovery and I'm sure, in time, he will be just fine.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Just coming out of anesthesia safely is a milestone. I'm so glad Winston's surgery went well. The day after Riley's surgery when I went to visit, she was so doped up on medication, she barely even registered that I was there. She rested in my arms for about 5 minutes but was just as happy to be taken back to her crate to rest there. Have you seen him yet? Riley looked like a half-shorn lamb with her hair-cut. It made her eyes look twice the size also. Rest well tonight. Winston is safe.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

3. Likes Karlin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No haven't seen him. It's killing me! I probably will not see him until we pick him up. I live 3 hrs away from where he is. I have twin 12yr old children so I'm split between them & him. When we decided on where to have the surgery it was an incredibly difficult decision because its so far but he's worth it. They didn't want us to see him the first day at because he's in a delicate state & he's so drugged. I'm not worried about seeing him shaved we keep his hair very short anyway because we are on our boat a lot & it's just neater. I want to give him a kiss so bad. I'll feel better when I see his tail wag & get a kiss from him. They are saying pick up will probably be Sun or Mon. I will definitely keep you posted.

Post Thanks / Like

I am also busy getting ready for his homecoming with crates & blankets all over the house.

6. Thanks Joanie Davison thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

He'll do well, I am sure. It also sometimes can be a bit easier, for you and perhaps for him, to see them after they've had a chance to start some healing, too, I think -- he'll mostly be sleeping in these early days and the rest and quiet will do him good. But I'd be torn too between going and staying! I really look forward to your updates as he heals.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great news. The Dr said we are out of danger! Winston is doing so good. He's even starting to wag his tail! The dr said he has nice range of motion in his neck. He's eating, peeing & pooping. He said he can come home I'm 24-72 hrs. I'm hoping he can come home on Sunday because my husband is off from work & there will be less traffic. Without traffic it's about 3hrs drive. Thanks for all your support. I'll still keep you posted on the situation.

9. Thanks Joanie Davison thanked for this post
    Likes Margaret C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad the surgery went well and he is doing good! The hair is a trademark and he now is what someone with Chiari say they call "zipperheads". So welcome to the club, the hair will grow back and the best part is the surgery is over. Now for the recovery
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

11. Likes Margaret C liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a relief! Anne' s characterization of the "zipperhead' is pretty accurate. I'm so glad he's responding to his caretakers at the hospital. Cavaliers have a way of working their way into everyone's hearts and they seem to take extra special care of them. One look into those eyes and who can resist just giving a little extra TLC? I know Sunday seems like such a long time to wait, but it will be good for Winston to have that extra recovery time for the long car ride car ride home. I'll be interested to hear what their discharge instructions are for him. Get some sleep now because you may not sleep well for the first few nights when Winston is home. And maybe plan on sleeping with his crate next to your bed for the first few nights home so you can tell if he's in pain. I'm sure he'll be so relieved to be home and with you too. Relish the moments even though they'll be subdued. Anxiously awaiting your first post about his arrival at home. (as well as others about his progress before he comes home!)
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Just catching up on this now. So glad the surgery went well....I can imagine the worry and angst you've been through.
    Hope his recovery is uneventful.

Leo and I are send hugs and best wishes from "across the pond"

Look after yourself and have a safe journey when you drive to pick him up.

Mel XX
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the well wishes. I think I'm prepared. I have a soft crate that I plan on putting actually on the foot of the bed. I have crates everywhere, in the kitchen & in the living room. I also have a gated area in the kitchen. I had terrible dreams last night, one Winston didn't recognize me & the other was that his head was so swollen that I didn't recognize him. Ugh.