• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Surgery scheduled for Thursday 4/4!

Rdituro

So Winston is scheduled for decompression surgery with Dr Glass at Redbank Veterinary Hospital in NJ for Thursday 4/4. We have to bring him in the day before for prep & blood work. Dr Glass does not use the titanium mesh & he's been doing this surgery for 15 yrs. He feels the healing process is a bit easier for us & the dog when the mesh is not used & he has not had a problem with scaring. I've cancelled all plans indefinitely & I'm lucky enough to be a stay at home mom to 2 12yr olds. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry I can't offer any advice but I just want to send all my best wishes and hope the surgery goes well for Winston on the 4th.

I attached an x-pen to Riley's crate so that she would have more room after her surgery. She was allowed 3 five minute leash walks for the first couple of weeks. Other than that, she had to be in her crate or in our arms. I also put her crate right next to our bed at night so that I could hear her and tell if she was in pain. She came home with a fentanyl patch for pain which she had for the first two or three days which worked liked a charm. I only gave her extra pain meds once the first night home. THe hardest part for me was keeping her quiet in my multi-dog household. I had an 11 month-old pup who was so full of energy, that even when I was holding Riley, I couldn't trust that Oz wouldn't come and barrel up into us.

Truthfully though (and I've said this before) the recovery will be harder on you than on Winston. You will look at his shaved head and you'll feel his pain and you'll question whether you did the right thing, whether you've prolonged or shortened his life, whether you've given him a better quality of life, and you'll probably cry. It took a good 6 months for Riley to really recover, for us to figure out her meds (Winston will most likely be on meds even post-operatively), and for me to not look at her as if she were going to die any minute. It took another year for me to stop treating her with kid gloves and feeling like nobody else could take care of her like I could. I was afraid to let her out of my sight. Now, almost 5 years later, I treat her normally and treasure every day I have with her. I realize every day is a bonus that I didn't think I would get. She loves life. She runs, she loves walks, she is happy. She is certainly not a normal dog, her brain was too damaged by the time she had her surgery for her to be healthy normal, but she is living life and loving it.

Wishing you all the best on April 4th.

(By the way, Riley did have the titanium mesh implant)

Thank you so much. It's so hard to know your doing the right thing before the surgery so I can imagine after the surgery will be really tough. I've been through other dramas with other animals so I do know the angst you are describing. Even as so far as to go with a dr that doesn't believe in the mesh. He did explain to me that the screws & the mesh result in a longer recovering as far as cranial pressure etc. he says he's never had a problem with scarring on any of his procedures in 15yrs. It's a very difficult decision & I'm already praying to God I'm making the right one. All I know is that if I don't do something he will get much worse. I'm curious to know what your dog still does that makes you say she will never be normal? I really want Winston to be the happy, sweet playful boy he is.

Riley's main problems before and after surgery were balance. Her vestibular system was very badly damaged by the SM. She cannot jump and on bad days she needs to lean against walls to keep her balance. Sometimes she will be sitting and just starts shaking and her legs will collapse on her. So that's what I mean by never being normal. Prednisone keeps it pretty much in check and it is 1000% better than before surgery. But like I said, she's a happy girl and loves life.

Aww thank you so much for sharing. Winston is pretty much mostly scratching his neck & head & licking his paws. About once a month he yelps. Of course all these symptoms are a lot less since on his meds. I'll keep you posted.

I'ill be thinking about you on Thursday. Good luck and gentle hugs for Winston coming from across the country and from a former New Yorker!

Surgery went very well today! Thank God. The next 24hours are critical but the Dr feels he should be fine. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks for the well wishes.

We'll all be thinking of you! Problems are very rare so I am sure all will be well -- but I know you'll be a lot happier once those first 24 hours are over. Let us know how things go. :flwr:

You must be so relieved that the surgery is over. Just take it one day at a time with Winston's recovery and I'm sure, in time, he will be just fine.

Just coming out of anesthesia safely is a milestone. I'm so glad Winston's surgery went well. The day after Riley's surgery when I went to visit, she was so doped up on medication, she barely even registered that I was there. She rested in my arms for about 5 minutes but was just as happy to be taken back to her crate to rest there. Have you seen him yet? Riley looked like a half-shorn lamb with her hair-cut. It made her eyes look twice the size also. Rest well tonight. Winston is safe.

No haven't seen him. It's killing me! I probably will not see him until we pick him up. I live 3 hrs away from where he is. I have twin 12yr old children so I'm split between them & him. When we decided on where to have the surgery it was an incredibly difficult decision because its so far but he's worth it. They didn't want us to see him the first day at because he's in a delicate state & he's so drugged. I'm not worried about seeing him shaved we keep his hair very short anyway because we are on our boat a lot & it's just neater. I want to give him a kiss so bad. I'll feel better when I see his tail wag & get a kiss from him. They are saying pick up will probably be Sun or Mon. I will definitely keep you posted.

He'll do well, I am sure. It also sometimes can be a bit easier, for you and perhaps for him, to see them after they've had a chance to start some healing, too, I think -- he'll mostly be sleeping in these early days and the rest and quiet will do him good. But I'd be torn too between going and staying! I really look forward to your updates as he heals. :)

Great news. The Dr said we are out of danger! Winston is doing so good. He's even starting to wag his tail! The dr said he has nice range of motion in his neck. He's eating, peeing & pooping. He said he can come home I'm 24-72 hrs. I'm hoping he can come home on Sunday because my husband is off from work & there will be less traffic. Without traffic it's about 3hrs drive. Thanks for all your support. I'll still keep you posted on the situation.

So glad the surgery went well and he is doing good! The hair is a trademark and he now is what someone with Chiari say they call "zipperheads". So welcome to the club, the hair will grow back and the best part is the surgery is over. Now for the recovery

Oh what a relief! Anne' s characterization of the "zipperhead' is pretty accurate. I'm so glad he's responding to his caretakers at the hospital. Cavaliers have a way of working their way into everyone's hearts and they seem to take extra special care of them. One look into those eyes and who can resist just giving a little extra TLC? I know Sunday seems like such a long time to wait, but it will be good for Winston to have that extra recovery time for the long car ride car ride home. I'll be interested to hear what their discharge instructions are for him. Get some sleep now because you may not sleep well for the first few nights when Winston is home. And maybe plan on sleeping with his crate next to your bed for the first few nights home so you can tell if he's in pain. I'm sure he'll be so relieved to be home and with you too. Relish the moments even though they'll be subdued. Anxiously awaiting your first post about his arrival at home. (as well as others about his progress before he comes home!)

Just catching up on this now. So glad the surgery went well....I can imagine the worry and angst you've been through.
Hope his recovery is uneventful.

Leo and I are send hugs and best wishes from "across the pond":hug:

Look after yourself and have a safe journey when you drive to pick him up.

Mel XX

Thanks for all the well wishes. I think I'm prepared. I have a soft crate that I plan on putting actually on the foot of the bed. I have crates everywhere, in the kitchen & in the living room. I also have a gated area in the kitchen. I had terrible dreams last night, one Winston didn't recognize me & the other was that his head was so swollen that I didn't recognize him. Ugh.

Back