• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stains on eyes

Luly

Both of Lucy and Kingsley have brownish stains in the corner of their eyes. We just try washing it of with a face cloth when we bath them but it does not do a lot. I have hear you can use corn flower I think? Is their anything else you can recomend doing.

Thanks

Both of my girls do, too. I haven't found a preventative solution. I just wipe them once or twice a day to prevent much staining. I also have a solution called Four Paws Crystal Eye Tear Stain Remover that I put on a cotton pad, and I think if I did that more often it would help. I usually find them licking each others eye goop out though :grnyuk::sl*p:

My Max also gets eye-stains. I have recently changed his food to grain-free and it actually seems to be getting a lot better. The vet said it was probably an allergy to something, so I have started changed things slowly to see what he could be allergic to.
In order to clean the stains, I put contact solution on a wash cloth and wipe it. It helps take the stain away over time. It doesn't clean it all the first time, but if you keep doing it, it helps.

I knew cavaliers like lot of dog are prone to eye staining before I got Fletcher my vet gave my a wonderful tip at his first visit. She said start now just wiping his eyes with a damp washcloth and use a thin layer of Valvoline down where the eye stain "would be" this way any eye drainage would NOT really stain. My vet said to stay away from "eye products" since most have weird chemicals she wouldn't recommend using. I like the idea of going simple....if your dog already has stains I still think you may need to check with the vet before using. I brush Fletcher every evening and do his teeth and eyes in the mornings....I have never had a problem.

Vasoline

She said start now just wiping his eyes with a damp washcloth and use a thin layer of Valvoline down where the eye stain "would be" this way any eye drainage would NOT really stain..

You mean vasoline, right? I think Valvoline is a motor oil!

You mean vasoline, right? I think Valvoline is a motor oil!

:jmp: hahahaaa heheeee yes OMG I'm so dumb sometimes its funny!!!! Yes, vasoline like you buy at any drug store NOT motor oil.....Can I say I was tired when I posted that? Sounds like a good excuse anyway :-D

Thanks joandesan, I hope you think that's as funny as I do :)

Thanks for all your answers.Thanks MomObvious I will try the vasoline next time I give them a bath!

:jmp: hahahaaa heheeee yes OMG I'm so dumb sometimes its funny!!!! Yes, vasoline like you buy at any drug store NOT motor oil.....Can I say I was tired when I posted that? Sounds like a good excuse anyway :-D

Thanks joandesan, I hope you think that's as funny as I do :)

I paused for a moment and thought, "Valvoline??" and then it hit me! Vasoline actually makes a lot of sense!:D Fortunately, Bosco's eyes are pretty good and he has not had any staining.

Back