• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fish Oil Supplements

Sydneys Mom

I'd like to start giving BellaMia fish oil supplements for the many health benefits. I'm unsure what to get or how much to give. I guess the bottles will give the dosage. There are so many choices out there. I'm looking at either an Omega-3 soft gel capsule, Co Q-10 soft gel capsule or liquid salmon oil.

Any thoughts on what may be the best one to start with? What brands do you use? Are there any other supplements I should be giving in addition?

I give all of mine a 1000 mg salmon oil capsule every day. It contains Omega 3 and 6 and is from www.WholisticPetOrganics.com. After Riley started losing her hair from her daily prednisone, it started growing back after I started her on the salmon oil. I also give them each 50 mg of Ubiquinol which I get from Puritan's Pride. I don't know if that's what has made the difference, but Oz is the only one who has a murmur and his is congenital and hasn't changed since it was diagnosed at 5 months of age. Even my three oldies have seen the cardiologist and he has confirmed no murmurs. The ubiquinol is a very tiny soft gel cap and the salmon oil is a large capsule, and I just pop them both in with their breakfast and they all eat them without a fuss. But I do not have fussy eaters. I also give a probiotic every day.

I used to give 1 pump in one meal a day of Grizzly Salmon Oil, which is in liquid, pump form. I only stopped because I started rotating in a fish-based food. I also give a probiotic - 1/2 tsp of Pet Kelp Probiotic in one meal a day.

[/QUOTE=Love my Cavaliers;430433]I give all of mine a 1000 mg salmon oil capsule every day. It contains Omega 3 and 6 and is from www.WholisticPetOrganics.com.[/QUOTE]

Bev, thanks for the info. I looked on the website, but could only find the liquid not capsules. I'll keep looking!

Joyce, if you look at the picture of the liquid salmon oil, click on where it says "choose one". That will give you the option of capsules or the liquid.

I want to try some type of fish oil to help with my Summer's skin allergies. I'm trying to decide between human grade vs something like Nordic Naturals or Grizzly Salmon oil made for pets. Summer doesn't have any teeth so I'm concerned about how she would do with the large size pill with human grade and also concerned about getting the dosage right-- she weighs 20 lbs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

I want to try some type of fish oil to help with my Summer's skin allergies. I'm trying to decide between human grade vs something like Nordic Naturals or Grizzly Salmon oil made for pets. Summer doesn't have any teeth so I'm concerned about how she would do with the large size pill with human grade and also concerned about getting the dosage right-- she weighs 20 lbs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

We give our cavaliers a dose of oils with each meal, for a variety of reasons, including strengthening their hearts. Our vet recommends a combination of Udo's 2-6-9 Blend (http://amzn.to/17zLsr6) and TwinLab Norwegian Cod Fish Oil (http://amzn.to/GSSUYP).

We mix them together and give a half teaspoon per cavalier, mixed with their food.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendation. I've also read that it is important to add vitamin E as well when supplementing with fish oil, can anyone speak to that?

Back