• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Orijen and High Protien

ajawad

Hello everyone. I have some questions and in need of some help. I have a 10 month old Cav named Tonka. He is currently eating life's abundance dog food but seems to be getting tired of it. So I was looking into changing to either Fromms or Orijen. The problem, or I don't know if it is a problem, is the high protein content in orijen. It's about 38%. I was wondering if thats too high ?

Fletcher has been on a food with 34% protein since I switched him to adult food at 14 weeks. We have never had any problem. Some really good store prepared raw foods have higher protein than that... So you never know til you try. Just switch slowly. My mom recently tried to switch her dogs and was surprised when 2 of her 4 dogs started vomiting. So I asked her how long did you mix their food..... Three days lol that is pretty fast if you ask me. Her dogs are all over 9 years old and they have been on a low quality kibble mixed with homemade chicken and rice. Ah educating my mom about a better dog diet is funny...... But we'll come up with something

Hi, my sasha has been on Orijen since 8 weeks and she loves it, we say she's on Miracle Gro cause she grown so quickly :)

I used to feed Orijen 6 fish but found it too rich for their stomachs. I decided to go down a level to Acana lamb formula which includes some grains (Orijen is grain free) and have seen a huge improvement in the consistency of their bowel movements and gassy-ness. However their main food is about 75% Honest Kitchen dehydrated raw and 25% kibble.

Hi, my sasha has been on Orijen since 8 weeks and she loves it, we say she's on Miracle Gro cause she grown so quickly :)
See that is what I am worried about. The growth part. My cav is 10 months. He has hip problems so I don't want him to do anymore growing.

Elton has tried both Origen and Fromms. Fromms worked better with his allergies and some stomach issues. However, we went to a holistic vet who changed his food to the Honest Kitchen. She tends to stay away from dry kibble and this was my first time not giving him that. She advised what she thought was best based on his symptoms. Although, I may have to change it because he is still scratching. When I was looking it up, I see there was a recall and now I have to make sure that the food he has is ok so thanks for this post!

There is a website (which I don't know much about) but it gives details on each dog food. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/. I don't know if that will help.

Elton has tried both Origen and Fromms. Fromms worked better with his allergies and some stomach issues. However, we went to a holistic vet who changed his food to the Honest Kitchen. She tends to stay away from dry kibble and this was my first time not giving him that. She advised what she thought was best based on his symptoms. Although, I may have to change it because he is still scratching. When I was looking it up, I see there was a recall and now I have to make sure that the food he has is ok so thanks for this post!

There is a website (which I don't know much about) but it gives details on each dog food. http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/. I don't know if that will help.

I've been to that website. I feel the reviews need to be updated so I don't take it that seriously. I prefer to hear from fellow cav owners.

See that is what I am worried about. The growth part. My cav is 10 months. He has hip problems so I don't want him to do anymore growing.

Hi! A puppy will keep growing til around 12 months and then will continue to fill out a bit more over the next year -- especially males -- so you cannot stop further growth and would not want to -- and those joints also need to grow, develop and mature and ideally, improve so that you do not need surgery :). But yes you don't want overly fast growth and would avoid puppy foods. (y)

Personally I think dry foods all a mediocre nutritional option, and if not avoided entirely, really need supplementing with either a good prepared commercial raw, or home-cooked diet, or a very good quality prepared dog food, or at least, the addition of healthy, real meats, veg, fruit, yoghurt etc regularly to the kibble :) -- there are many many way to supplement and improve a basic diet and would really urge anyone feeding primarily a processed food like kibble to at least supplement with some real and healthful food,. :)

http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...roving-Your-Dogs-Diet_20260-1.html?s=FB041513

We have lots of info on diet options in the Library section. Also highly recommend this article above from the Whole Dog Journal on improving a kibble diet -- even if people don't do anything else. I truly believe the choice of one brand of adult kibble over another makes minimal difference to health, growth rates etc. :D

However, we went to a holistic vet who changed his food to the Honest Kitchen. . . . . Although, I may have to change it because he is still scratching.

FWIW - our Cav will scratch from any product that has any form of potatoes or grain as the binding agent. Ask me how I know . . . ! Sophie does best on a simple frozen pre-mixed raw diet with no carbs of any kind. The most affordable one is Oma's Pride, and she never scratches from it. It is a very basic food, minimal ingredients, because for all I know it could be the flax seeds, blueberries, or whoknowswhat, in some of those other diets that are the problem. If you have tried everything else to no avail, you might try Oma's. (no affiliation, etc. etc. etc., just a grateful customer) as IMO it is one of the more affordable raw diets.

Back