• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Panting? And bowel strangeness

LilCav

Hello everyone, been a while since I posted. I'm aware similar threads have been posted, but I was looking for an answer unique to my situation.

Summer's approaching, and with it comes warm temperatures and sunny days. Naomi's black coat definitely heats up. I've noticed that since the weather has gotten warmer, during outside play time she will pant. In the mornings I take her to the local dogpark at odd hours, so we are the only ones there. She'll pant, but the whole time keep running around, sniffing and playing. When she starts to slow down is when we go home.

Do you think her panting is safe as long as her energy level isn't dwindling? I make sure she always has clean water available (including at the park), and during outside play times make her break every 5-10 minutes to be sure she is drinking enough. She'll pant inside too, sometimes, while laying in a patch of sun from the window (but will not get up from the patch, and will be grumpy if I move her from her warm spot).

Naomi came into my life during the winter, so I can't tell if she's just a dog who pants a lot in the summer, or if something is wrong.

Also: Naomi is nearing the 6 month mark. In the past week or so, she has had some odd regressions. Around five months she took some steps back in training, including wetting in the house. However, since the day she came home she has been perfect regarding bowel movements outside, and never had an accident. In the past week or two, she has had 3 accidents, all bowel movements, and all during heavy play sessions. Any one have any idea why this would be?

Normally she has a really long "poopy dance" but during these instances she's either been playing with her doggie playmate (twice)
or me (once) and just mid game will squat and go... extremely unusual for her.

I can't help you with the panting, but Remy, who also just turned 6 months has also regressed in the poopy department and when he is playing rough with his big sister. He hasn't squatted in front of me, which I wished he had, that way I could turn it into something positive. I figured he doesn't want to interrupt play time thinking it may not continue when he returns. I have been trying to keep track of his potty schedule so I can take him out during those times, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. These guys sure keep us on our toes.

Honestly I think she may need to be checked out but the vet for the potty issues, before you call it a regression in training....some times dogs with this when they have some type of bladder infection or the likes. Maybe the pooping mid-play has something to do with that. Because its weird I would want to rule out any medical problems first.

As for the panting, I had Fletcher out in the heat almost all summer, at the beach, swimming, camping you name it. Making sure she has cool water and is drink helps but I found Fletcher LOVES frozen pieces of fruit too oh and just plain ice. I was so worried I'd make him sick having him out. But Fletcher was a champ and could stay down at the beach on a 100 degree day for as long as the little kids about 3 hours, he swims so that helps and I made him take breaks too. I just hope he does as well this summer cause it was so fun to have him with us all the time.

Honestly I think she may need to be checked out but the vet for the potty issues, before you call it a regression in training....some times dogs with this when they have some type of bladder infection or the likes. Maybe the pooping mid-play has something to do with that. Because its weird I would want to rule out any medical problems first.

As for the panting, I had Fletcher out in the heat almost all summer, at the beach, swimming, camping you name it. Making sure she has cool water and is drink helps but I found Fletcher LOVES frozen pieces of fruit too oh and just plain ice. I was so worried I'd make him sick having him out. But Fletcher was a champ and could stay down at the beach on a 100 degree day for as long as the little kids about 3 hours, he swims so that helps and I made him take breaks too. I just hope he does as well this summer cause it was so fun to have him with us all the time.

She's going to be spayed soon, and the vet requires a pre-op health check to be sure. She isn't in pain or anything, so I'll bring it up then and see what he thinks (later this week). Hopefully it's just a puppy thing, and if not we'll treat it as appropriate and postpone the spay.

Was he panting while outside though? Naomi loves to run and play outside... so I'm hoping all is okay.

Agree with others, I would talk to your vet about both these things. It is totally normal for puppies that young to regress on training -- they aren't really trained at that age, just getting some fun and basic foundations that you need to practice regularly and then build on as they come into adulthood. :) Think in terms of a small child -- a 5 year old will not be capable of retaining information and expected to be as knowledgable or capable as a teen and that's the same with puppies under 1 and training.

Regression on toileting either means the pup was assumed to be trained too early and simply has regressed -- very common situation as owners often believe a couple of accident free weeks mean a pup is trained whereas they are not generally really reliable til around one and certainly not in a situation to be given freedom to wander around a house without constant supervision when under 6-9 months or they do tend to start going in the house.

But where you start out of nowhere to have toileting problems then it very often is linked to a health issue that needs vet help -- often a UTI or (if left untreated) a painful kidney infection. Sounds like she doesn't have ability to retain her bowel when really excited/active and think that warrants a vet visit alongside the pee accidents... but the other alternative thought is that it sounds like she isn't getting out often enough perhaps to empty her bowel so she doesn't have anything inside when playing, perhaps?

On the panting -- very hard to say, a certain amount of panting is normal but you may have a cavalier with more obstructed airways and thus need to manage activity more carefully. Again it would be good to get the advice of a vet. More info here: http://www.cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm

Puppies do tend to not pant when young then start to pant as they mature into dogs.

On coats: dogs can actually remain cooler if their coat is not cut -- it does act as insulation against heat. They can burn too if their coat is shaved down. Most dogs are fine unless they have no shade to retreat to, and heat is extreme. Your vet can advise on whether weather in your area and her coat warrants any concern. :)

Let us know what your vet says! :)

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am going to try to set Naomi up for a vet appointment tomorrow, rather than Friday. I will let you all know how it goes! Now to gather a stool sample!

Update: Naomi has a vet appointment tomorrow at noon! (y)

Last edited:
Good news everyone!! Naomi is fine!

She received a thorough check up. Her muzzle is on the longer side for cavaliers, so no worries about obstructed airways.
Due to the infrequency of the accidents, coupled with the situations she has them in, I have nothing to fear. She may not develop complete sphincter control until 6 months. Furthermore, puppies having accidents during play time is apparently very common. They're running and playing, having fun and ignoring what their body tells them, and then when it's already too late they realize: "I've gotta go! Now!" Age and maturity will help with this. She's on a very rigid potty schedule, and given the opportunity to go before and after play, so really we just need to wait it out.

Back