• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Need advice please re dog harnesses

jasperpaw

I really need some advice re dog harnesses, I have always used a step in one without any problem basically as Jasper my older dog did not like anything put over his head so I carried on using the same for Ollie, I bought a new one for Ollie last year as it had got tatty, anyway Ollie has managed to slip out of it three times now, so enough is enough, I was looking at the puppia harnesses, anyone know what they are like for a cavalier that pulls or have any suggestions for another brand that may be good, it does not have to be step in as Ollie does not seem to mind things put over his head. Ollie is about 21 lb and very hairy, so a big boy.

Fletcher is a puller and I use the EZ harness http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Walk-Harness-Small-Medium/dp/B001RAVEP2/ref=pd_sim_hg_3
I think because of its design it would be amazing if a dog could slip out of one. They come in 8 sized too, and the size chart is great. I will say its not easiest thing to put on, especially if Ollie gets excited just seeing a leash but it did not take long for Fletcher and I to get the hang of it.

I also have 2 Puppia harnesses, personally I think Fletcher is more comfortable in them and I love that I can just throw them in my washer when they get dirty. I use the Puppia harness in the car, the beach or anywhere I take him where we will not be walking the whole time like camping. When I bought the first one it was a little big on Fletcher but I used it anyway and he never slipped it.

Mel, thank you for the link, the EzyDog harness looks good, did you get the medium sized one for Leo. The Puppia one might not be so good, I can`t take the chance that Ollie slips out of a harness again, don`t know why it only happens occasionally.

Hi Pam,

Leo has the medium size...he's a big boy, he weights just over 10kg. It adjusts really well, Im sure you'll be pleased with it. They do come in an assortment of colours too.
Leo has a red one !

We have the Easy Walk Harness and it is wonderful, but I don't know if you can buy it over in the UK. Sophie gives it the stink eye when she sees it, because she knows she cannot pull and get anywhere with it.

I use the puppia harness with jazz and I have one that also opens at the neck so she can step in and out of it - I noticed she was starting to dislike having it pulled on and off and was delighted when I found this harness, I think they're a new range - I use it all the time when she's out as she really dislikes collars.

i can't say that it stops her pulling - I believe that the best type of harness for this would be one where the lead fastens at the front, therefore pulling will result in being unable to walk forwards!!!!

I use an ordinary comfort harness that goes around the legs and clips on the back (not over the head). As long as it is adjusted correctly, it won't come off. I find people generally put them on way too loose though.

Back