Thread: Anti-crystal suppliments

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anti-crystal suppliments

My girl suffers from crystals in her urine. The vet recommended Royal Canin 50 moderate calorie. It causes her to drink MUCH more water and consequently she now has to be let out to go in the middle of the night which she never did before. We previously had her on Science Diet CD which caused her to gain weight and didn't solve the crystal problem.
    Does anyone make a suppliment or food that can address the crystal problem without these side effects?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am sure some others will post on this issue -- I'd always try to find other alternatives to using medical diets involving dried kibbles, if at all possible. But urine crystals can be painful and I'd want to Ok any approach with a vet.

That said -- more urination is generally better for the crystals problem. If you are feeding in the evening, maybe try switching to a morning only feed so she isn't drinking so much in the evenings and having to go out in the middle of the night? (I feed my dogs once daily, in the morning).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would take her to an holistic vet. One of our cavaliers had crystals, and supplements prescribed by our holistic vet solved that problem.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Struvite or calcium oxalate? There are different reasons and treatment for different types of urinary crystals.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA