• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anti-crystal suppliments

cavawampus

My girl suffers from crystals in her urine. The vet recommended Royal Canin 50 moderate calorie. It causes her to drink MUCH more water and consequently she now has to be let out to go in the middle of the night which she never did before. We previously had her on Science Diet CD which caused her to gain weight and didn't solve the crystal problem.
Does anyone make a suppliment or food that can address the crystal problem without these side effects?

I am sure some others will post on this issue -- I'd always try to find other alternatives to using medical diets involving dried kibbles, if at all possible. But urine crystals can be painful and I'd want to Ok any approach with a vet.

That said -- more urination is generally better for the crystals problem. If you are feeding in the evening, maybe try switching to a morning only feed so she isn't drinking so much in the evenings and having to go out in the middle of the night? (I feed my dogs once daily, in the morning).

I would take her to an holistic vet. One of our cavaliers had crystals, and supplements prescribed by our holistic vet solved that problem.

Struvite or calcium oxalate? There are different reasons and treatment for different types of urinary crystals.

Pat

Back