• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In Loving Memory of our Special Butters

cavalover

It is with an incredibly heavy heart that I write this posting. On April 20[SUP]th[/SUP], our beloved Butters lost his battle with Masticatory Muscle Myositis. At the tender age of 1 year and 10 months, he crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. He waited just long enough to meet his buddy, Leon, our first-born son. Even with his failing health, he was just as much the loving fur-brother we expected him to be. He maintained that special loving nature until the very end, as he passed away in our arms.

IQ7R1606 by LSidari, on Flickr

However, it is his life, not his death, that we would like him to be remembered by. In August of 2012, my husband finally gave in to my incessant requests to add a little cavalier to our family. We had found a breeder through an extensive search, but had yet to pull the trigger and actively pursue adopting one of our own. My husband reluctantly agreed to pursue the breeder, fully expecting that a puppy would not be available for some time. However, to our surprise, one little puppy was available… the pick of the litter… a tiny Blenheim.

Baby butters by LSidari, on Flickr

Despite my husband’s trepidation, he could not help but watch over and over the little dog on the flip video sent by the breeder. This little furball, playing “fetch” on the video, grabbed a tossed ball and defiantly ran the other way. However, repeatedly he would look back at the camera with those heart-melting eyes, making sure his human friends would be following along with him. There was something about those eyes that immediately melted our hearts.

Butters finally arrived in our home on December 15[SUP]th[/SUP], 2012. I remember the excitement and nervousness that we experienced while awaiting picking him up at the airport. My husband and I showed up 15 minutes before his flight arrived. At every sound of a barking dog, we wondered if that may be our Butters. When the flight assistants finally rolled Butters to us, I couldn’t help but tear up when we saw him… there he was with that feathered tail, thick beautiful ears, and those same loving eyes. At that moment, we were instantly in love.

Bringing him home, he immediately became the center of our world. His distinct and loving personality captured our hearts. My husband, despite his initial reluctance, melted under that little dog’s spell. They became best of friends. Butters loved me, but he and my husband shared an even greater closeness. Where my husband went, Butters was sure to follow.

IQ7R5017 by LSidari, on Flickr

IQ7R9720 by LSidari, on Flickr

IQ7R7476 by LSidari, on Flickr

IQ7R2354 by LSidari, on Flickr

Butters’ antics inspired me to start my blog, “A Whole Lot of Yellow,” in February 2012 (http://lsidari.blogspot.com). I wanted to share with others the moments that made this little dog so special. Through my posts, I chronicled our wonderful life with Butters. Stories included his unfortunate experience with doggie socks, encounters with the neighborhood bunny, visits with family and friends, holiday memories, creative efforts to acquire extra snacks, and bedtime routines. Most of all, the blog captured his gentle, loving nature… a treasure he shared with all whom he met.

IQ7R3710 by LSidari, on Flickr

IQ7R4960 by LSidari, on Flickr

IQ7R8873 by LSidari, on Flickr

I remember my husband and I remarking, even before he became sick, how we were so incredibly blessed to have this special little dog. We never took him for granted. Even with the heartache that came at the end… complex medication schedules, frequent vet visits, watching his health fail… we have no regrets making this little dog a part of our lives. In his short stay, Butters gave a lifetime’s worth of happiness to my husband and I. He prepared us to become parents, giving us confidence to care for another living being. He strengthened and deepened the love that we share for each other. Butters reminded us that life is about so much more than work and monetary possessions.

Right now, words cannot describe the incredible void left in our lives with his passing. We are happy that he is no longer suffering, but everywhere we look in our home reminds us that he is gone. My husband especially is taking the blow very hard. In time, we plan to bring home another cavalier… not to replace Butters, but to honor his memory. We want our son to know the kind of love that we experienced with Butters.

To the members of cavaliertalk: thank you for following along with Butters’ adventures and for your comments and messages about his photos. Your words have really touched my heart over the time that I have participated in this forum. And, thank you for your support during the time that his health spiraled downhill. Your words of support and guidance made that difficult time a bit easier. Finally, in the 2013 Cavalier Matters Calendar, Butters represents the month of May. I hope that you all will enjoy celebrating his memory in the coming month.

IQ7R5148 - Version 2 by LSidari, on Flickr

My dearest Butters: Mommy and Daddy will miss you so much. You will always be our first Little Man. We hope that you look over us, and someday we may meet again.

IQ7R2834 by LSidari, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh no -- my heart is just broken to hear this. I remember when you got him and your first posts about him. You have written so movingly about him, with such wonderful pictures. How cruel to lose him to this condition. :( I had hoped he could be helped and he would recover and have many more years with you. He has clearly been so special in your lives in the too-short time he was with you. Really thinking of you, at such a difficult time. Butters' May calendar picture will bring him, and a smile, into so many lives all over the world, and for those of us who know his story, that month will be extra special.

I am so sorry to hear that you have lost Butters. You have written a beautiful tribute to a special little dog and your words speak volumes to the heartbreak you are now feeling. Over these past months, I have always enjoyed your pictures of Butters. They always made me smile. You now have a beautiful new boy to raise and I believe that Butters will always be sitting on Leon’s shoulder and looking after his little brother. RIP sweet Butters.

That is a beautiful post in honor of Butters. He was meant for you both, with your special understanding of MMM.

I'm so sorry to read about Butters. he obviously brought a lot of love into your lives and its clear that it was reciprocated too. I'm looking forward to having him smile down at me in my kitchen for the month of May -actually he'll be looking up wont he -I've just checked out his photo :) He was adorable and I can't imagine how much you'll miss him.

I am so sorry to read of your loss of Butters, he was so young. You have written such a wonderful tribute in his memory, he was such a special little Cavalier and will stay in your heart forever.

I am deeply sorry for your loss. May you find peace in the thought that many of us know your sorrow and can feel your pain. Rest In Peace Butters and run happy and free at the Rainbow Bridge.

Maybe its just that I have had a long stressful day..no Mr. Monster are I are big Butters fans, I can hardly type the words thur my tears but I'm so so so sorry. I know how much you love guys love Butters. It just sucks and is so unfair to have Butters pass before he was even 2 freaking years old.
The post you wrote was nice and I'm glad you can celebrate every wonderful moment you had with him...the fact that he's the May cavalier is just wonderful. Its such a beautiful picture too. Well your a wonderful photographer too, that helps. I'm also glad you have the blog and I'm sure many many pictures to enjoy for the rest of your live.

Alright I'm sobbing now..... From the bottom of my heart thank you for sharing your amazing little guy with us. Rest peaceful sweet little Butters :hug:

Echoing what others have said on your loss of your companion, Butters. He wasn't with you very long but his memories will last forever in your hearts. (((HUGS)))

I am so very very sorry to read this. Your wonderful heart felt tribute has reduced me to tears. Thinking of you.

Mel X

This is just so sad and I was near to tears reading your tribute to Butters, it is such a tragedy to lose him so young but he will be forever in your hearts. Rest in Peace little one

hi cavalover
so sorry for your loss 1 yr 10 month is no time to spend with butters your hearts must be breaking
i have a ct calender given to me by a very kind gentelman called brian so come may butters will welcome me every morning i walk into my kitchen and i will give butters a kiss from louie and i
sending you hugs

Thank you for all of your replies. It really warms my heart and eases the pain knowing all of the people touched by Butters' life and stories. These dogs are so special, and Butters truly was a heart dog. I feel blessed for the moments that we shared with our special boy

How incredibly sad. Losing one of these little guys at any age is just heartbreaking, but to have spent just a short time with him is so upsetting and unfair.

So very sad reading the news of Butters, heartbreaking. Very poignant that Butters is our May calender page, rip beautiful, special boy.

So very sad and sorry to read of this news. We were admiring the lovely calendar picture only this morning .....RIP Butters free and happy at the bridge xxx

I returned from the vet today with Butters' ashes, his harness, and a little plaster casting of his footprint. The vet's office gave us a personalized card with special messages from all of the people who worked with him (including several of his "girlfriends" [vet techs] whom would cuddle him when we came into the office). It was the most difficult experience since we lost him... just missing him terribly

Back