Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Added a new Cavalier puppy to our family!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and yes she is a crazy, wild, nippy puppy.. she is so cute, someone knew what they were doing when they made puppies cute! lol
    Loving my Tricolor boy Bentley and his brand new black and tan sister Velvet!
    http://teagirl81.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Too cute! It's so interesting watching them become accustomed to each other. It took Lady and Gracie a few months to get used to each other and learn to get along. Lady is over one year old now but still harasses poor Gracie when she wants to play by grabbing her by the ears and dragging her off the couch.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Baby Velvet is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! I just want to give her cuddles, i really would find it a stuggle to put her down, you are very lucky, Karen,Ruby and Sadie

Post Thanks / Like

It does take time for everyone to adjust. I had Boop (Japanese Chin/Female) for about 1 year, and when I got Sadie (Japanese Chin/female), they were immediate best friends. I thought getting Bosco (CKC/Male) 2 years later, would be a breeze, as the Chins are the friendly dogs that like to play. It didn't work out that way, Boop (who was about 4) growled and while she never snapped, I didn't like it. Bosco, was oblivious and continued to stick his head in her face. Silly, silly pup! It required constant monitoring and I started thinking that I might have made a mistake. I was firm with both dogs about who was in charge (ME!), and growling was not acceptable. It took about 6 weeks, before they would sit on the couch together. Sadie was neutral from the start and continues to prefer Boop over Bosco. Boop and Bosco have become wonderful friends and play all the time now. So, Boop plays with Bosco, and Sadie plays with Boop. Very, very rare to see Sadie play with Bosco. It's interesting dynamics to say the least.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joandesan View Post
    It does take time for everyone to adjust. I had Boop (Japanese Chin/Female) for about 1 year, and when I got Sadie (Japanese Chin/female), they were immediate best friends. I thought getting Bosco (CKC/Male) 2 years later, would be a breeze, as the Chins are the friendly dogs that like to play. It didn't work out that way, Boop (who was about 4) growled and while she never snapped, I didn't like it. Bosco, was oblivious and continued to stick his head in her face. Silly, silly pup! It required constant monitoring and I started thinking that I might have made a mistake. I was firm with both dogs about who was in charge (ME!), and growling was not acceptable. It took about 6 weeks, before they would sit on the couch together. Sadie was neutral from the start and continues to prefer Boop over Bosco. Boop and Bosco have become wonderful friends and play all the time now. So, Boop plays with Bosco, and Sadie plays with Boop. Very, very rare to see Sadie play with Bosco. It's interesting dynamics to say the least.
    Yes I realized I had to do the same, make it very clear that I was in charge and it was MY home, I wanted both of them here, and that humping, growling and intimidating was not going to be tolerated. Nice behavior is rewarded. They ROUGH house a lot but today was the first day they seemed to actually just be together once in a while, rather than pinning and nipping and jumping on each other for all their play sessions. (though most of it was rough play still lol) The thing is that it is rough play now rather than territorial anger towards Velvet from Bentley, it has been play since the first week passed. Just rough play. the weird thing is Bentley does not rough house with his other doggie friends at the dog park or when we see them at petco or on walks. Just at home with Velvet.
    Loving my Tricolor boy Bentley and his brand new black and tan sister Velvet!
    http://teagirl81.wordpress.com/