• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Added a new Cavalier puppy to our family!

3kids1cav

Her Name is Velvet, and she is 9 weeks old now, she came home 6 days ago. Isn't she pretty!!!

Bentley is having a bit of a hard time with it all, but he is getting better. He was pretty bent out of shape the first couple of days (they were good on neutral ground, but as soon as we walked through the door of the house and he realized she was there with us, he got really growly and snarley with her. The growling is over so is the snarling, but I can tell he is not super thrilled still, he does try to hump her now and then which I am not allowing. (he is neutered so it is dominance related) But that is becoming less and less of an issue as each day goes on. Now to just get them to stop trying to steal each others toys and bully sticks.:sl*p:

Bentley does not look thrilled here! lol.. I was saying "I am in CAVALIER Heaven" when DH took this pic

It was a LONG ride home with a mouthy puppy and a 2 year old cavie boy who was not interested in sharing my lap with her lol.

I had two Japanese Chin prior to getting Bosco. They were NOT pleased with his arrival,and it took a few weeks for things to settle down. All is well now and they are good friends.

As the owner of only 1 CKC lap dog, I do wonder about how owners of multiple Cavs handle doling out all the affection. Chins are pretty independent, but still need their share of attention. Bosco will physically insert his body between me and a Chin when its affection time. Do you guys watch TV with t 2-3 Cavs on your lap??

joan

Bosco will physically insert his body between me and a Chin when its affection time. Do you guys watch TV with t 2-3 Cavs on your lap??

joan

...absolutely, one is anchored to my thigh and the other climbs on my shoulder..so there's definitely room for more :biggrin:

She's beautiful. My little girl is also a black and tan. Like you, we got her at 9 weeks and she is now three. My wife and I are retired so we spend everyday with her. My wife says I spoil her and I admit it - why not?! I wanted a second cavvie but the wife (boss) says no. I am inclined to agree with her as Sam would probably be jealous of any attention drawn to another animal. Either way, I'm grateful to have her and enjoyed your pictures and pleasant memories they generated.

They are doing fine now :) he likes her when she is not trying to play with him, but does not like her rough puppy play and gets after her, plays rough back... which normally is not like him.. he is the dog that likes to greet the other dogs at the dog park then go on his way after a bottom sniff. He is much more playful with her than any other dog.. they are rough, She drives him bonkers so I only allow supervised play, and separate them if I can't supervise (she is crated if I cant actually) but she has a safe play area, they chew bully sticks on opposite sides of it so they can get used to it but not steal each others.. that seems to work for now. Same with toys, I have not brought those into the mix yet as the one time I did they played tug of war with a Wubba and she could not win, so I took it away. They are so cute, when she is calm he doesn't mind her a bit, but that is not often lol.

Oh and yes she is a crazy, wild, nippy puppy.. she is so cute, someone knew what they were doing when they made puppies cute! lol

Too cute! It's so interesting watching them become accustomed to each other. It took Lady and Gracie a few months to get used to each other and learn to get along. Lady is over one year old now but still harasses poor Gracie when she wants to play by grabbing her by the ears and dragging her off the couch. cl*p

Baby Velvet is absolutely beautiful!!!!!! I just want to give her cuddles, i really would find it a stuggle to put her down, you are very lucky, Karen,Ruby and Sadie :lotsaluv:

It does take time for everyone to adjust. I had Boop (Japanese Chin/Female) for about 1 year, and when I got Sadie (Japanese Chin/female), they were immediate best friends. I thought getting Bosco (CKC/Male) 2 years later, would be a breeze, as the Chins are the friendly dogs that like to play. It didn't work out that way, Boop (who was about 4) growled and while she never snapped, I didn't like it. Bosco, was oblivious and continued to stick his head in her face. Silly, silly pup! It required constant monitoring and I started thinking that I might have made a mistake. I was firm with both dogs about who was in charge (ME!), and growling was not acceptable. It took about 6 weeks, before they would sit on the couch together. Sadie was neutral from the start and continues to prefer Boop over Bosco. Boop and Bosco have become wonderful friends and play all the time now. So, Boop plays with Bosco, and Sadie plays with Boop. Very, very rare to see Sadie play with Bosco. It's interesting dynamics to say the least.

It does take time for everyone to adjust. I had Boop (Japanese Chin/Female) for about 1 year, and when I got Sadie (Japanese Chin/female), they were immediate best friends. I thought getting Bosco (CKC/Male) 2 years later, would be a breeze, as the Chins are the friendly dogs that like to play. It didn't work out that way, Boop (who was about 4) growled and while she never snapped, I didn't like it. Bosco, was oblivious and continued to stick his head in her face. Silly, silly pup! It required constant monitoring and I started thinking that I might have made a mistake. I was firm with both dogs about who was in charge (ME!), and growling was not acceptable. It took about 6 weeks, before they would sit on the couch together. Sadie was neutral from the start and continues to prefer Boop over Bosco. Boop and Bosco have become wonderful friends and play all the time now. So, Boop plays with Bosco, and Sadie plays with Boop. Very, very rare to see Sadie play with Bosco. It's interesting dynamics to say the least.

Yes I realized I had to do the same, make it very clear that I was in charge and it was MY home, I wanted both of them here, and that humping, growling and intimidating was not going to be tolerated. Nice behavior is rewarded. They ROUGH house a lot but today was the first day they seemed to actually just be together once in a while, rather than pinning and nipping and jumping on each other for all their play sessions. (though most of it was rough play still lol) The thing is that it is rough play now rather than territorial anger towards Velvet from Bentley, it has been play since the first week passed. Just rough play. the weird thing is Bentley does not rough house with his other doggie friends at the dog park or when we see them at petco or on walks. Just at home with Velvet.

Back