Thread: Dental cleaning and anesthesia

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Dental cleaning and anesthesia

Elton needs a dental cleaning but I really wasn't worried about anesthesia until I talked to a friend. Her cavalier is younger 3 maybe? But her vet will not do a cleaning without having an Echo from the cardiologist here.

I know Tennessee has a murmur but at a young age maybe a grade 1. Elton doesn't have a murmur but he didn't need to be checked by a cardiologist when he had an MRI. Is this normal practice or just because Tennessee has a murmur? I am looking at getting a dental cleaning scheduled and wanted thoughts?
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FYI, Elton is 6 1/2 years old.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also, how do you decide who does the procedure? Elton started going to a holistic vet who I really like. They do them there. It also says something about dental scaling which I heard bad things about. I think they do multiple things.

http://www.atriumanimalhospital.com/...tal%20Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Leo has an anaestetic last month for dental work. The vet did blood work on him first. Leo is the same age as Elton and the vet said he has a grade 1 murmur....hardly audible were her very words.

There was no need for an echo first. I was very worried but despite the cleaning and removing 15 teeth her was fine afterwards.

Good luck
    Mel X
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Luke had dental work in December. He just got blood work before, no echo. I don't know if it would have been different if he hadn't but his heart was checked in June. He didn't have an echo in June though, just an auscultation with a cardiologist. Maybe though you could find a cheaper echo at a clinic on cavalierhealth.org
    I used his regular vet. I trust them, and would want to use someone who knows him whenever possible. What I was told by a tech who just does dentals at another vet is that if they are doing scaling while awake, you really don't want that. They're just taking your money. Really, you need to get below the gum line, which most dogs are not going to let you do while they can feel it. They aren't going to sit there and hold their mouths open nicely and allow it to be done.

Post Thanks / Like

None of my dogs has ever had an echo before anesthesia for teeth cleaning, just blood work. Even Oz, who has a grade 1 murmur (like Leo's - barely audible)just had blood work done and was fine. I use their regular vet for all except Riley. Riley went to a veterinary dentist at the clinic where her neurologist is because she does not react well to anesthesia and I wanted her neurologist right there in case she had difficulty coming out of anesthesia. He (the neurologist) had one of his techs stay in the room while Riley was having her teeth cleaned to monitor her - what service! And she woke up just fine.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

My old dog has a grade 3 heart murmur and has had two dentals. We didn't do an echo, or any bloodwork. I think the vet needs to be aware there is a heart condition though, so the vet can use the right medication for sedation.