Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP!!!!!!! The mean Mommy????

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all!!!!!!! I knew I was not alone Maybe I'm being unrealistic thinking Fletcher should be silky and tangle free at all times. That's pretty much like saying all 3 year old little girls should always have perfect little curls at all times. After all he's a dog. I think I am going to run him by my favorite groomer and talk about "thinning" the spots that mat so easily- behind the ears and feathers (really its more like armpits). I need to take him anyway for a nail trim (I have to have them filed after because freshly cut nails are too sharp for playing with Mr. Monster) I'm also going to continue the evening brushing too, its a good habit and he's just going to have to learn to deal with it. I do give him plenty of treats and I sweet talk him the whole time. I use a double sided pin/soft brush and a comb with the leave in conditioner on any mats if I need to.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

We ended up getting Butters down to a few times per week with the brush. We would pick out all of the little leaves and twigs several times a day, but he was not a big fan of brushing and we had to pick our battles. Like Soushiruiuma said, starting on the back can help. We would always do the brushing on the couch, where he would start to snooze after a bit of the back brushing. I would then get the ears and tail after he fell asleep like a sneaky mommy . He really hated the spray conditioner, so I would spray it into my hands and rub it on his coat instead of directly squirting it on him. The worst, however, were those nails! I would have to painstakingly do 2 or so nails at a time. Oh, the things cavaliers go through to stay beautiful lol
    Mommy to Butters (06/18/2011-4/20/2013) and Sawyer (6/08/2013)
    http://lsidari.blogspot.com