• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cataracts?

Lukesmom

Luke just went to the eye doctor tonight, and the doctor said he had a small cataract in his right eye. He did not have it when he was checked about 11 months ago, and his regular vet didn't mention it in March. He was seen by a resident and the staff doctor. The resident only saw it when the doctor asked her if she had seen it, and then she went and looked again. The doctor today just recommended that it be checked again in 6 months.
When I looked online about treatment, some places are recommending Ocluvet drops, and they appear to have good success rates, particularly with earlier onset cataracts. They're pricey though. I'm looking to find some reputable sources of info on the drops before I plunk down the cash, but if there is a chance they may work, I am thinking of at least trying them until his 6 month recheck. Anyone tried it?

... When I looked online about treatment, some places are recommending Ocluvet drops, and they appear to have good success rates, particularly with earlier onset cataracts. They're pricey though. I'm looking to find some reputable sources of info on the drops before I plunk down the cash, but if there is a chance they may work, I am thinking of at least trying them until his 6 month recheck. Anyone tried it?

We've used Ocluvet and a similar eye drop -- using the same ingredient, N-acetyl carnosine -- called Can-C. It is difficult to tell whether they work or not, but we think they have at least stopped the progression of the cataracts, if not reversed them. Details about cataract care are at http://cavalierhealth.org/cataracts.htm#Treatment

Back