• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Large Lipoma on my Cavalier

eastlite

Hi all,

First time I have posted I believe, I didn't realise there was such an active forum for us Cav owners!

To be honest, I'm looking for a bit of TLC from any cavalier owners in my position as our Cavalier has a large lipoma that doesn't bother her just me!

It is on her hind leg and is around 7cm wide x 5cm deep. (3 inches x 2.5 inches for those working in this measurement!)

I've been to various vets at the same practice and had all the tests and it is a lipoma, but because of her age (11 years) and heart murmur (grade 5) none want to operate unless really necessary because of the high risk of a general anaesthetic at her age and heart condition.

As I say it doesn't bother her, I've always kept her weight down and she gallops around like a 4 year old and totally ignores it. Infact everyone thinks she is so much younger.

And therein lies the crux of the matter, as everyone thinks she is so much younger and look at me like I am cruel in not having it operated on. However, I have it checked once a month and have done since I found it as the size of a large marble just over a year ago!

Anyway I just felt like I would vent my anger somewhere as our cavalier is loved too much if anything!

Thanks for reading/listening.

Last edited:
In my own opinion, I would leave it alone. Given that it is a benign tumor, it isn't bothering her, and the surgery would be risky due to her age/MVD, it seems to me the risks outweigh the benefits. This appears to be reinforced by the fact that you have been to numerous vets whom don't want to operate at this time. Having just lost my little cavalier at a young age following a long medical battle, I can say that sometimes the treatment can be worse than the condition. Just my two-cents :)

I would leave it be. I see lipomas all the time at the holistic animal clinic I work at, and all dogs are happy as can be with them just left alone (who wants surgery for something that doesn't need removing?).
There are some great homeopathics that can help reduce them though, but if they aren't bothering your pup, well then they aren't a bother :)

Welcome to the board!
Just to echo above, I wouldnt do anything about it if it doesnt bother her. You'd never forgive yourself if anything happened under the anaestetic. It would be very different if she were in pain and had a poor quality of life.

As they say "If it aint broke dont fix it"

Hi, Sorry I haven't got back sooner but have been away.

Thanks for all your responses. The lipoma I'm afraid has got slightly bigger since last posting, but it still doesn't bother her. It amazes me how dogs adapt so well. I will be getting it checked in the next week or so. I have no idea how big these can get but unless I am told otherwise I will not have anything done as she is so well otherwise!

The only issue there has been is that is got sunburnt slightly over weekend as it is so large there is no longer any fur to cover it!

Anyhow any suggestions how it can be decreased in size (ie as mentioned homeopathic, what does this involve?) I'm grateful for any advice.

Back