• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavalier from rescue

rubles

A few weeks ago I lost my Rhodesian Ridgeback to mast cell cancer and decided to source a cavalier from rescue. I prefer an older dog because the youngsters usually find a home.
The nearest rescue is in Detroit, Michigan about a 5-hour drive to my home, too far to fulfil the required home inspection. And I live in Canada.
So I've been looking elsewhere and have a referral to a 2-3 year-old male with a cataract. I've had cataract replacement surgery and the cataracts didn't cause me any pain.
Basically I'm very interested in this dog and feel it's not a problem. All of my dogs that died from old age had them.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Trapper was found to have a cataract in both eyes when he was a puppy. One cataract needed to be removed but the other was very mild and we've done nothing nothing with it since. When he had the operation -nearly 9 years ago , Trappers lens needed to be removed too so he has had unfocused vision in one eye ever since. It hasn't caused him any real issues - apart from when we used to take him to the beach we needed to stay close to him as he found it hard to locate us if we were off in the distance.
I hope it works out for you and that you can adopt this little cavalier. He probably isn't aware that his sight isn't perfect as dogs just live in the moment.

I dont have any experience with a dog with cataracts but I wouldnt have thought it would be a huge problem. If he's fit enought surgery could always be an option.

Fingers crossed you can give him a forever home.
Mel X

Trapper was found to have a cataract in both eyes when he was a puppy. One cataract needed to be removed but the other was very mild and we've done nothing nothing with it since. When he had the operation -nearly 9 years ago , Trappers lens needed to be removed too so he has had unfocused vision in one eye ever since. It hasn't caused him any real issues - apart from when we used to take him to the beach we needed to stay close to him as he found it hard to locate us if we were off in the distance.
I hope it works out for you and that you can adopt this little cavalier. He probably isn't aware that his sight isn't perfect as dogs just live in the moment.
I think it will be OK, at least I hope so. Why did Trapper need surgery?

Mel, The rescue part was my first choice. This little dog with the cataract is a re-homing.

Back