Thread: Does Rimadyl kill?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Does Rimadyl kill?

Owners of dead Labrador retriever sue New York veterinarian for prescribing Rimadyl. http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/b...tuFhls400nuCvN
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

This article barely gives any details. And Rimadyl apparently does have a warning label, according to this article in USA Today.
    http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...ain-usat_x.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Rod, as I've pointed out on the other site you posted on it's only one side of the story. I feel there is more to this story than we know...

I feel the title of your post raises alarm bells and there really is no need to sensationalize...all medications, for humans and dogs carry risks we need to be careful and make it our business to check side effects and risks and ask questions about what we take and what we give to our animals.

I am surprised at the amount of people who give meds to animals or themselves that are prescribed and when you ask "what are they for how do they help" etc. they tell me they don't know!
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not a bad idea to be reminded that even commonly used drugs can be badly tolerated by some dogs. One of my Japanese Chins can't take metacam.
    Last edited by Margaret C; 7th May 2013 at 01:59 PM.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    Rod, as I've pointed out on the other site you posted on it's only one side of the story. I feel there is more to this story than we know...

I feel the title of your post raises alarm bells and there really is no need to sensationalize...all medications, for humans and dogs carry risks we need to be careful and make it our business to check side effects and risks and ask questions about what we take and what we give to our animals.

I am surprised at the amount of people who give meds to animals or themselves that are prescribed and when you ask "what are they for how do they help" etc. they tell me they don't know!
    All I did was post a link to a newspaper article and let the article speak for itself, primarily for information purposes. I was interested in it, and I thought others might be, too, since Rimadyl is frequently prescribed for CM/SM. I don't know the other side of the story. That's all the newspaper article published on the subject.

The title was not intended as a conclusion or a sensational comment; it essentially is a paraphrase of the headline of the article. In fact it is milder than the headline of the article.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I take your point Rob, just think a lot of these things get blown way out of proportion and we rarely get to the real story. It can scare some people as not everyone will read things the right way and can be influenced by these kind of posts.

Maybe if the story your linked had given more detail like both sides of the story...? Newspapers publish stories everyday and most of them are a little far from the truth, some further than others...

it's like those stories that pop up on Facebook with wild claims about something and then we find out it's been started by one (usually untrue) story that goes viral but a lot of people get taken in by them.

Maybe your post was a little premature regardless of whether you meant well as in thinking others may be interested in it because your link gave very little info and was all one sided.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    I take your point Rob, just think a lot of these things get blown way out of proportion and we rarely get to the real story. It can scare some people as not everyone will read things the right way and can be influenced by these kind of posts.

Maybe if the story your linked had given more detail like both sides of the story...? Newspapers publish stories everyday and most of them are a little far from the truth, some further than others...

it's like those stories that pop up on Facebook with wild claims about something and then we find out it's been started by one (usually untrue) story that goes viral but a lot of people get taken in by them.

Maybe your post was a little premature regardless of whether you meant well as in thinking others may be interested in it because your link gave very little info and was all one sided.
    Pippa, I've been a newspaper journalist, and I can tell you from that experience that when certain lawsuits get filed, they are newsworthy. But when a lawsuit is filed, the only information usually available about the matter is what the "complaint" states. The rest of the story is yet to come.

I found value in the article because it was about a drug often prescribed by veterinarians for dogs with CM/SM. The message to take away is that dogs possibly may die from Rimadyl and that care should be taken when giving it to your dogs. I have found that another popular drug, pimobendan, can kill dogs, too. This knowledge is, I think, important information for cavalier owners. If you don't care to know about it, then just skip over those posts.
    Rod Russell