• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Leptospirosis vaccine

cpell009

I've just been to the vet and am now debating whether or not I should vaccinate for Leptospirosis, and was wondering if others could share their thoughts and experience.

The girls spend a lot of time outside, except the majority is in the city. On weekends we go out to the suburbs where my parents live and they spend all day outside in their backyard where there is a fair amount of racoons, skunks, etc. but no rivers/ponds. We will be traveling to Newfoundland this summer and will be spending a lot of time outside there, but I cant find any information on whether it is prevalent there.

The vet didn't really recommend one way or the other since the dogs are kind of in the middle of the risk zone. But the vaccine is apparently the riskiest for adverse reaction.

I dont believe Gracie has ever had the vaccine and Lady had it at 8 weeks (which my vet was kind of shocked), and I decided not to give her the booster at 4 months.

Any advice would be appreciated!

But the vaccine is apparently the riskiest for adverse reaction.

This is correct. Each owner has to weigh the pros and cons. Our dog is always on a leash. We live in a suburb of a large metropolitan area, yet dogs die of Lepto around here. My vet lost a Cavalier (patient's dog) after the big flood three years ago. Dog drank from a puddle that carried infected urine, was all they could figure.

When we had our Shih Tzu, he got the Lepto vaccine every year along with the entire cocktail of whatever was suggested. Sophie's breeder told me about one of her dog's anaphylactic shock reaction to Lepto and that she does not give it to her dogs. I never knew we had a choice. If my dog was allowed to run off leash, even here in the suburbs, I would give the Lepto. We've got all sorts of wild rodentia running about, here.

The thing is to do your internet research and decide for yourself. I've read that the vaccine is only effective for six months, there are umpteen varieties of Lepto and the shot only covers a few (like human flu vaccines), etc.

You can also search the forum here to read previous discussions. Calling some local vets in Newfoundland, and asking if they see Lepto cases, might help you decide.

Back