• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Coconut Oil

I use it on chew toys and antlers to encourage them to take an interest in them (which is putting it mildly- they love it!), and I have my daughter use it when she gets a rash on her face (still haven't figured out what is in the backyard she's allergic to, but the coconut oil was a last ditch "oh what the heck, it can't hurt, maybe those "crunchy" people are on to something" try. Works overnight when even hydrocortizone won't). Other than that, we haven't used it much. My "dog pancreatitis" group also says that it's one of the easiest digested oils out there, but I haven't tried adding it to their food *paranoid about Emma having a relapse*.

Word of warning- don't use it on yourself before bed if your dog sleeps with you- Rose's "aunt" found that out the hard way! LOL:roll:

I put it occasionally in my dogs food. I alternate between coconut oil and fish oil :)
Kokoda doesn't go nuts about it (he eats it though) but Deniki LOVES it!
They both have very soft coats and Kokoda's is really shiny. I think the coconut and fish oils work very well to help achieve that shine.

You mentioned a "dog pancreatitis" group. I am looking for more information on this subject, since my dog was just diagnosed with both chronic and acute pancreatitis. She's now on meds and a low-fat diet with only fruits or vegetables for treats. Was wondering if your group is on-line somewhere, and if so, how I might join it? Thanks.

Sorry to hear about your wee one. There's a very helpful article about pancreatitis http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/is...ymptoms-and-Treatment_16081-1.html?s=FB110713

If you search on this site too there are lots of threads about it, including an alternative home made recipe to hills id.

Mine love coconut oil too, you need to introduce it slowly though. Don't forget that if you are feeding fish oils, you need to be giving Vit E too - natural source, for an average Cavalier we give 200iu daily (we give that to all over 5 's anyway).

I was feeding it to all three of my dogs and they all loved it. I only stopped because I was also feeding fish oil to Tess for her heart and it seemed too much oil and more expense than necessary. It does make their coats lovely. It's also very tasty for humans... I've been wanting to make a coconut cream pie and use the coconut oil in the crust...:rolleyes:

Back