• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teddy and his neutering - next week already.

Lynne

Ah, time flys doesn't it? I can't believe he has been with us for four months, it barely seems weeks. We have just recently had his first holiday (in Anglesey) and he absolutely loved the beaches, and the sand, and sitting in proper bars restaurants or pubs like a little man. So many people coming over to say hello, he was a real attraction, and lapped all the adoration up like a little trooper.

He is six months old, and he is booked in for his neutering next week. Im not worried about it as I know he will be fine, although i am verging on nervous in a different way, since doing a search on neutering on the forums (I was looking for advise on post care and recoup time) and reading a thread which contained a big (and occasionally heated) debate about when or when not to do it

Both Teddys breeders, and my vet, have said that six months was a good time unless we were thinking of showing or siring him, which we aren't. It seems that most people feel that 6 - 9 months is acceptable?

There are no behaviourial reasons for it - He isn't particularly over naughty, just what I would think is normal puppy behaviour. He is incredibly randy at the moment, and has been christened Teddy Tripod recently, and he does hump his toys on a far more regular basis than previously, but otherthan that, nothing horrendous.

I am dropping him off at 8:30, going to work, and then picking him up at 5:30. That way I think I might survive the day, and then I have three lovely full days with him, just in case he is feeling a little bereft and a tad draughty in the nethers.

So my questions are post op? and recoup? I know what to do vet wise pre op, so thats ok, but post op when he is at home with us that first night, and recoup - will he just bounce back quite quickly, or am i in for the big sulk?.

Some bounce back more quickly than others. If I remember correctly, Luke bounced back pretty quickly, but the dog I had before him did not. Of course, Luke is 4, and it would have been 3.5 years ago that he was neutered. Someone else I know, her dog was acting like a nut the next day. He'll be fine, and if they send him with a cone, remember to take lots of pictures of him wearing it.

Hi Lynne, don't know how different boys and girls are.

Jemima had her spay on Monday. She was totally out of it Monday night. Tuesday morning she thought she couldn't walk! By Tuesday afternoon she was herself again. And today she is still bouncy.

She was sent home with a cone, which I removed Monday evening, but put back on when she went to bed. I removed it on Tuesday and haven't used it since. It is a bit chilly here, so she is wearing a jumper, and I think this is helping protect the wound.

The thing I didn't know about was the tattoo in the left ear. When I saw her ear covered in a black substance I freaked out!

Good luck with Teddy's op, and I am sure he will be fine.

Penny

Bosco's post-op was a breeze. He even required an extra incision due to an undescended testicle, and even with that he was fine. I had the cone on the first few hours, and even that was gone within the day since he was not licking the area.

He was very drowsy, like someone who had too much to drink when he came home and had no appetite (very unusual for him).

The following day he was his same old self, but I wouldnt let him jump on the couch.

Good luck with Teddy!

thank you everyone. we have to wait another day unfortunately as he had a poorly tummy last night, and we were up and down the garden with him a fair bit. the vet wants to make sure it was just an upset tum first, so his little pals have a 24 hour pass. he seems ok so far on his chicken and boiled rice, but i have to let them know tomorrow before i set off. ho hum .

24 hours in and we have had to go back to the vets as teddy houdini managed some how to eat his stitches despite wearing a bonnet of shame. we were so fortunate that his little cut is healing really well already, so they decided to put a little staple in. (at which point i had to leave the room rather quickly).

other than that he is doing really well. not one ounce of drowsyness nor is he off his food, infact i seem to have been more affected by the whole thing than he has lol

Back