Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm supposed to name her for the AKC? uhmm.. ideas anyone?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm supposed to name her for the AKC? uhmm.. ideas anyone?

Hi. So my cavalier got spayed a few weeks ago. I contacted her breeder who sent me her akc registration papers. I'm looking them over and they say that I need to give her an akc name and to make it original. Her mom is named "miley's miles of smiles" and her dad is "Mister Maxwell one in a million". uhmm.. okay, when I met them they were Max and Miley. I get it sort of. What is the purpose of naming your dog a huge name like that? Does she have to be the only one that has her name. I named her Lucie. The vet calls her Lucie Rose because Rose is my last name. But, how do I go about naming her for the akc? I want her to be registered ofcourse. I just don't know what I want to call her, what's proper? I have a few words I figured maybe I could just use her nicknames or commands.

her sit command is "be a lady"
    her 'look at me' command is 'pretty eyes'
    her release command is 'share it'

My boyfriend has nicknamed her 'little lu'

anyway, if anybody would like to tell me what I should put on this paperwork that would be nice. thanks!

sara.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saravrose View Post
    ... anyway, if anybody would like to tell me what I should put on this paperwork that would be nice. thanks!
    I find that single syllable call names work best, if you plan to train and compete the dog in activities like agility. It really doesn't matter what a dog's AKC-registered name is, because you still can call your dog anything you want and that works for the dog. For our nearly completely deaf cavalier, a shrill whistle is the only sound he responds to.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Personally, I always find it kind of odd when breeders have owners think up their own registered names for their puppies, but on the other hand, a lot of owners really like being able to do so. .

The registered name is only a minor formality for a pet owner. You do not even need to register the puppy unless it is part of your contract, though it can be useful to do so.

Show breeders would generally have their kennel affix at the start of the name and then the dog's registered name. This is the name they are shown under and which goes on pedigrees. No one uses long show/registered names to actually name their dog for day to day use. Instead they use a 'call' name. Lucie would be your dog's call name. If you want you can just register her formally as Lucie. Or you could register her as Lucie Be a Lady (cute!) or just Be a Lady, or any other phrase. Sometimes breeders aim for a name that has some thematic relationship to the parents (same is done with race horses). It would have to be original *for that breeder's registrations* but not in the whole world of registered dogs or cavaliers.

Some people find giving a registered name a lot of fun and breeders can spend a LOT of time coming up with good names (often an entire litter will have some sort of theme in the names, but not always).

My two registered cavaliers are called Ronnoc Carol's Boy and Ronnoc Gizmo (latter named by the breeder's daughter... ). But I call them Jaspar and Leo. Two others are rescue cavaliers and unregistered. My pyreneans are registered as Warneton Cream Muffin and Warneton Compte de Navarra. Their call names are Muffin (she was always called this and it suited so we kept it! And it became part of her registered name) and Bryn (no relation at all to registered name though I did consider names connected to Navarra area of the Pyrenees mountains, historical connections etc.). I never even think about their registered names -- they are just what's on the formal paperwork.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When an AKC breeder gives a "blue slip" (an AKC-bred dog's registration application) to a pet buyer and says "Name the dog and send AKC the blue slip", that breeder is just being cheap. She has avoided the cost of registering that dog herself. In the CKCSC,USA, breeders register their litters and the puppies in those litters simultaneously. In the AKC, the breeders can get away with just registering the litters. Those who pass the blue slip to the puppy buyers are those who are trying to avoid an expense they should incur. When they register the pups with the litter registration, they get a discount, but apparently most of these breeders would prefer to pass that cost on.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think Lucie be a lady is a really sweet one. Teddy and his two sisters had Strictly Come Dancing as the theme and Teddys is Dances like Pasha. I would have loved the chance to think up his KC name but i actually like what he has anyway. And of course we got to choose his family name.
    Lynne x
    Little Ted Bear - Ruby Boy Born December 8th 2012
    Beautiful Megan - Black & Tan. Left us 18th January 2013. My heart and soul.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the input. I think that I'll just go with Lucie be a lady. It seems as though that's the phrase i've been saying to her since I brought her home. Lucie, be a lady.. I must say it a dozen times a day so it fits. thanks for the input and explanation. She is my first pet, ever. so, it's all new to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I LOVE lucy be a lady. My first dog (a birthday present when I was in 4th grade) I named Flip because he would flip over and stumble. He was given the name "Anne's Flip Flop".

If I gave Ella a registered name, I can't remember it. Ella was registered with the CKCSC USA (not by breeder) but I think she just had the Kennel name/Affix then Ella. I don't know why I can't remember but I definately remember "Anne's flip flop" LOL.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anniemac View Post
    I LOVE lucy be a lady. My first dog (a birthday present when I was in 4th grade) I named Flip because he would flip over and stumble. He was given the name "Anne's Flip Flop".

If I gave Ella a registered name, I can't remember it. Ella was registered with the CKCSC USA (not by breeder) but I think she just had the Kennel name/Affix then El

la. I don't know why I can't remember but I definately remember "Anne's flip flop" LOL.
    oh i love annes flip flop. it really made me smile.

I personally would have been happy for Teddy to be called Pasha, but the husband put his foot down. He said he didnt mind yelling Teddy, but he refused to yell Pasha in front of the neighbours lol
    Lynne x
    Little Ted Bear - Ruby Boy Born December 8th 2012
    Beautiful Megan - Black & Tan. Left us 18th January 2013. My heart and soul.

Post Thanks / Like

Annie was the other name in the running. But, when we got to the breeders and chose 'Lucie' My boyfriend looked down at her and said that she was most difinately Lucie.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a lot of fun thinking of Lady's name!

I named her Lady Grace of Waverley II (so regal! haha). Lady is her call name (and also her mum's name, hence the II), and Waverley was my street name.

It was coincidental that I got Gracie a few months later and kept her name. But I think most mix the dam and sire's names with the breeder's - I wanted to do something more fun.

And in response to Rod, in my case the breeder just asked me to pick a name but she registered the puppies. If I didn't pick the name she would have just picked one herself.
    Last edited by cpell009; 22nd May 2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz