• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

2 dogs better than 1?

we luv lexi

Hi all!
I've not been on this forum for quite a while now. Lexi is turning 6 this year. Was looking for general opinions from experienced cavy owners...
We are in love with Lexi, she has mild separation anxiety, only really evident when we come home from being out. She scratches at our legs and cries for about a minute or two out of excitement before she calms down and is back to her normal happy self. We've been contemplating adding a new puppy to our home. Not specifically for this reason, but I was wondering for those of you that have multiples, do you feel that they are happier in twos as opposed to being the only dog at home? Lexi is quite a submissive dog, not timid but submissive, we are also a little concerned that the new dog might try to dominate her...
Do you feel that there are any temperment differences between the 4 colors? Would a dog her age do well adapting to a puppy in the house? shes still plenty playful and active. i dont fear any aggression on her end, shes never growled a day in her life. And any general opinions as to whether having a second dog at home would lessen her anxiety when we arrive home? Again, her anxiety isn't anything major, I'd say more just overwhelming excitedness that were back lol
Sorry for the long post!
Thanks for your (positive) comments! :)

Yes, yes, yes! We have an 11 year Tri that was an only dog for 2 1/2 years. We lost our first, Emma, in June 2010 to MVD and we were truly devastated and could not even think about getting another dog. Well, as fate had it, we were given the opportunity in February of this year to rescue a 2 1/2 year old Blenheim from our SPCA, owner surrender. My husband and I discussed for a total of 2 minutes and were out the door before we could reconsider. We like to say it was one of the best decisions we have made in our 20 years together. This little toot has brought new life into our old boy and into our lives as well.

If you do not want to go the puppy route, there are plenty of CKCS out there that need to be rescued. I wish you luck in your decision.

Kindest Regards

thanks so much for the insight! wonderful news! :lotsaluv:
so sorry for your loss though. I can't even think about when we reach that day =(
I'm glad youve found comfort in your new baby Gibbs. I see so many pics of cuddly cavies and I can't imagine ours not getting along.
Two cavies in the house will be a whole new era for us. lol

I don`t know if there is a difference in the temperment in the colours, I have two Blenheim males and they are both very different. I have a 10 years age gap between them, it was a very big decision to get a second cavalier nearly three years ago, my eldest is now 13, and has MVD and started having problems when he was 9 years old. We have found it has actually given are older cavalier and interest in life having his little friend around and yes the younger one who is now just 3 years old, is more bossy in some ways but mainly because he moves around faster but it does not seem to cause any problems, the younger one has a much more chilled out approach to life were the older one does get agitated and stubborn over things, they are just very different. We found the only problem we had was when Ollie was a pup, Jasper the older one did not like having a puppy swinging around his ears etc but after a few weeks all was well, I separate them for eating and we don`t walk them together as basically the older one likes to walk slower now and it`s as much having a good sniff around as well as the walk. I think you just have to adapt to their individual needs.

I apologise in advance for the essay haha

I went through this same thing. Do i get a second dog? Don't I?
Will my dog like the new puppy? What if koda feels left out? What if he loves the puppy so much he doesn't love me as much?
I debated a second dog for a very long time, then took the plunge and messaged the breeder of my first cav. He actually had a tri boy unspoken for, so he became mine. It was much sooner than I was expecting but i wouldn't have done anything differently if i had to do it again.

My older dog is only two, my puppy is now 12 weeks old. I know it isn't quite your situation, but they love each other :)
The first few days Kokoda wasn't a huge fan. He didn't like sharing the attention, and the puppy annoyed him and hung off his ears all of the time. But one night, (Night three?) they started chasing each other and playing tug of war and i was so so happy!
They now get along so well I couldn't imagine not having two :)

I do spend time with them together, and i also take them out separately so that they get time with me alone. And that is often when i do their training and teach them tricks :) For the first two weeks i separated them for eating, however they now respect one another's food and will wait until the other is finished before licking out the bowls. It is quite cute and funny :) They both eat theirs, then swap and lick the other dogs empty bowl.

I have heard that a second dog can solve anxiety problems but i cannot attest to this myself as I have never had a dog with separation anxiety.

I don't think there is a difference between the colours, it is just the different dogs. The colour has no influence on their personality. My ruby is super outgoing and my current tri even more so, however my previous tricolour boy was very reserved and didn't like strangers as much as these two. My mums black and tan boy is also more relaxed and laid back than my two. And the blenheims i know all vary in personalities as well.

I hope this helps you decide what is right for you and Lexi :)
p.s. I LOVE the anme Lexi, i alsways have :) I think i will get a cav girl next and call her that.

I only have one cavalier so I can't really speak for experience however I think 2 or 6 cavalier would be better than one :pi*no: Who wouldn't want to lay on the sofa and be covered in sweet dogs?

There are many positive reasons for adding a second dog -- and there is a post/links on considering a second dog, in the Library section -- but it really depends on individual circumstances. Each new dog is an individual and adding any dog changes the mix somewhat so it is hard to predict exactly what will happen when one is added but almost all will fit in very well with a gentle dog like a cavalier (though it may take time for them to settle and accept a new companion or show affection toward each other).

Coat colour is is merely cosmetic and there are no differences in personality. For everyone who says x colour is always like a, there are an equal number who will say they are just the opposite. :)

It isn't really separation anxiety when a dog behaves with excitement when you return from being away -- this is pretty normal! If it bothers you, you can fairly easily train away from it by ignoring the dog totally until she is calm, then give attention. (y) All four of my cavaliers act as if I have been away for months, if I leave for a short while then return to the room... :lol:

If you get two, then you will have two that are excited when you return home. Real separation anxiety is when the dog cannot actually be left without being destructive/panicky etc. I'd be kind of sad if dogs of any breed or mix didn't get overexcited when people return home after being out all day -- something wrong with the dog!! But the way that manifests itself in behaviour can be managed by owners with some training. :) For example, a dog that goes into a reliable sitstay on command, to wait for attention and interaction, isn't jumping up or scratching at legs. :D

Denali -- Your photos tell it all! I love the one of them curled up together.

I am in favor of multiple dog households, as I have 3 (two chin and 1 CKC). Its nice to see them play together and I do think they amuse each other while I am away at work.

Its not always love at first sight when the 2nd dog moves in, so allow for an adjusment period, and know that it will work out.

The only drawback -- double the vet bills, and boarding fees for when you go away. Other than that-- Heaven!

Thanks to all for the comments! I think I'm pretty convinced that I want a second CKC. Hubby is pretty much on board too just a little more apprehensive than I am.lol But I know that once we have 2 at home we wont have regretted it! I gotta be mentally prepared to go through all the puppy training and stages again...lol

Denali- Thanks for your input. I cant wait to see another pup all cuddled up with Lexi like that. I think its the cutest thing! :l*v::l*v: And the puppy playing with the ears made me laugh! Thats not the 1st time Ive heard people say that. I think Lexi would just look at me confused. Haha
Jasper- Thanks for your comments. I guess its a relief to know Lexi doesnt truly have separation anxiety and that her reactions are completely normal. We're not bothered by it at all. But she just gets so overwhelmed she starts whimpering and crying and I hate to hear her crying. So when she gets too crazy we do ignore her and look at the ceiling until she stops and calms down to a sit position. Shes a smart baby. we just dont enforce it unless her crying is persistent, so that's why shes not consistent either lol. Because who doesnt love coming home to a beautiful cavy that is dying to see you and suffocate you with slobbery kisses?? LOL
Joandesan- Thanks for your comment. I do imagine that theyd keep each other company and entertained while we're at work or out of the house..
The only other drawback I can see is double the hair on everything! Lexi leaves her mark everywhere she goes...hair hair everywhere. lol
I'm currently looking into getting a robot vac...
Thanks guys!! Now go hug and kiss your babies! xoxo :dogwlk:

One caveat about colors- if you have matching dogs the furballs are all the same color, if you have different colors (tri/Blenheim, or something) you end up with different colored furballs (on your laundry, couch), different colored dust bunnies even!). It's like they shed so much so quickly the fur doesn't even have time to mix.

those were great questions, and all ones that i have been wondering about for a while, so it was great to see so many positive and really helpful answers. i would love a little pal for teddy, but we will probably wait til next year when i hopefully finish work (and start doing my own thing at home.

we will probably go straight back to teddys breader family for our next addition. might not be a puppy though, although teddy is really good we might not be so lucky next time.

im

im very excited for you, and i cant wait to hear how it goes x

Two is always better than one! :D. Lady was 6 months old when I brought home 3 year old Gracie. Getting an older dog made the transition much easier, since Lady was still a puppy. They keep each other company, play together, and lick each others eye goop :fool:.

Denali: I too loved your photos. When I clicked on one of them I was sent to your flickr site with even more heartwarming photos. Cavaliers are absolutely adorable.

Hi- I am new to the site and I see you have 4 Cavs! So I was hoping you could give me some insight to owning 4 dogs. I have 3 my beloved tri boy (Winston) hes 8 and (Lily)blen she 9 years old and also great but shes a very old 9 just likes to sleep and eat and kiss :) .We just added a new puppy hes a blen boy 15 weeks its been almost a month and my precious loving sweet dogs completely ignore the baby ! I'm considering getting another puppy so they can have each other to grow old with and play with.of course my breeder has a adorable tri that I could get next month. I forgot how much work a puppy is either that or I'm getting old :) guess that's how my dogs feel! After reading all the info on this site I have been very lucky with their health . I have bought them all from the same breeder and never had one problem with my dogs ever with anything except bad breath. Any insight to having a huge crew ? I have always had 2 cavs I think its better for them to have a friend when we aren't home as Im sure yours are like all the rest they don't like being alone .

Back