• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New addition from rescue

rubles

Last Friday I brought home a new cavalier. He's almost 3, a Bleneim(sp), settling in beautifully and hasn't done anything wrong.
He's had a rough 2-3 weeks.
His original owner couldn't keep him any longer and in spite of a signed contract with the breeder turned him into the dog pound with full documentation where he stayed for a week. because of his cataracts he was deemed unadoptable and scheduled for euthanasia. BUT when a shelter employee saw the contract contacted his breeder and he was rescued. SO 1 week in the pound, 1 week at his breeders and now 1 week here.
He is not an eager eater. Poor little fellow now has to have his food taken away after 30 minutes. Sometimes he eats it all and sometimes he leaves it. I have 2 other dogs and being picky means your food will be eaten.
He cries a bit and appears to expect to be taken home.
Hopefully his appetite will soon return.
Anyway, fingers crossed.

oh bless you for being there for him. there will be tonnes of advice that will flood in from others far more experienced than me. i would just be smothering him with love, but as we all know that in addition there are structured ways to ensure he relaxes and starts to eat better. it might be difficult, but a strong leadership is probably exactly what he needs now in order to settle. that and lots of love of course :rolleyes:

Glad to hear he was saved and found a home with you! When I got Gracie she was 3 years old and took about a month or two to get into a good eating routine. She would regularly skip meals and I would often have to coax her to eat. Now she goes crazy for all kinds of food and especially loves her dehydrated raw food.

I find the dogs like a wet food much better than dry kibble and with the dehydrated raw you get better nutrition without the work/freezer space for raw.

Good luck with the transition!

Bless him and bless you for giving him his forever home at last. Im sure he'll settle in, its aonly a week and with patience and love he'll settle.

What have you called him?

He has been named Nigel. He's very sweet and well mannered and right now on my lap.

Thanks for the tip about how long it might take to develop a food routine. He ate very little to-day. Maybe to-morrow he'll eat more.

He has been named Nigel. He's very sweet and well mannered and right now on my lap.

Thanks for the tip about how long it might take to develop a food routine. He ate very little to-day. Maybe to-morrow he'll eat more.

Ah, love that :)

Try a little cooked chicken (no skin) and boiled white rice. And perhaps initially, hand feed him the little bits of chicken? You will obviously have to not let him get too used to that, but perhaps that might work well in the short term. God knows why, but both my cavs loved/love it, and wolfed chicken and boiled rice down no matter how they were/are feeling. Teddy also loves white fish, and and when Megan was off her food, a small portion of cooked (and cooled) pasta shells with plain white cottage cheese inside never ever failed to get her to eat.

A little slow time with this little sensitive boy won't go amiss, and he will soon be scoffing everything in his path Im sure :)

x

Back