• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

bed time snacks?

Super Princess

Yesterday started and ended as 'bad' day for us. the inbetween part was not so bad acutaly ;)

You may have read my 'ending' to yesterday in my other topic...
but we began the day...i was having a bad dream about someone giving maggie a bannana..and i remember someone saying bananas are not good for dogs. i was trying to get it away from her.
Just as i was dreaming this..i woke up to maggie sitting up in the bed..and puking up yellow liquid.

after a google search..some sites suggested its something to do with the length of time between meals. and there were suggestions of a bedtime snack.
shes been fine since....eating..drinking ..pooping...and no puking. so im not too worried.

but...if it is the length of time between meals...can i get some suggestions for a healthy bedtime snack?
thanks.

Bananas are bad for dogs? I don't think that's true.

The yellow stuff is basically stomach acid (and saliva), it means there's nothing in the stomach to get out. Although if there's something large it could be the body trying to displace it so things can start moving again.

So my suspicion would actually be a hairball, but that's not necessarily true. Just that I usually get hairballs as a gift when I start seeing this behavior.

For bedtime snacks, yogurt with oats is popular here. Or make a "sandwich" with 2 dog biscuits and peanut butter.

It doesn't need to be a big meal, I would aim for something around the size of a small chicken egg.

but...if it is the length of time between meals...can i get some suggestions for a healthy bedtime snack?
thanks.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about Maggie, but I know Bosco LOVES to eat, and will often eat things that he shouldn't (grass, mulch, paper). Is it possible that Maggie ate something that didn't agree with her? The other, very real, possibility is a hair ball. The yellow, bile would account for that.

I'm very careful in monitoring Bosco's weight, as he is 23 lbs, and has a patella issue. He is not overweight (confirmed by vet!), but I don't need him gaining any more. I would be very reluctant to start bedtime snacking --do your really feel this is necessary? Are their other signs, in addition to the vomiting incident, that would make you think Maggie needs more food?

I do give Bosco and my chins a treat in their crate each night -- not to supplement thier diet, but to make "going to bed" a fun thing to do.

I think the yellow liquid was bile and she's just been a bit too long without food in her stomach.
One of mine was like that until almost 5 months and the solution was simply to feed a small bit of kibble before bed and then an early breakfast at 6.30 am.
I presume Maggie is a puppy?
Sins

Mine get breakfast and dinner (around 8am and 6 pm) and then get a little something before bed...like a died fish cube, a little kangaroo gerky, maybe some raw veg or yogurt. All really healthy stuff as they have had most of their caloric intake in their food. Toby in particular needs food before bed or he wakes up at 3 am will a very loud growling tummy! It doesn't mean much, just a little snack or we do some light training with treats :)

It's only been that one time..nothing before..and nothing since...so maybe it really was just a one time thing.
I havnt been giving her any bedtime snack since then..but i suppose if i WAS to..a couple blue berires might surfice.

i definitly dont want her overweight.
oliver was obese and it scares me.

i had her together with her siser today for a play.
its shocking to see the size difference.
her sister carlys always been smaller then maggie..but they dont even look like theyre from the same litter anymore (size wise...picture wise theyre identical)

I always give the girls pieces of banana - I've heard it's actually a healthy treat for them (but higher in sugar so just an inch or two). I also give green beans, apple slices, baby carrots, cucumber, berries, etc. A healthier treat and they love them all the same!

Also, I feed twice a day. Once at around 8:30 before I leave for work and again at around 7 or 8 pm. Maybe try feeding her second meal a bit later?

But I wouldnt be too worried about a little puking at night every now and then. It honestly happens with one of the girls at least once every month (usually more with Lady because she eats everything). As long as it doesn't persist and she doesn't have changes in energy/appetite for over a day I wouldn't be worried.

Back