• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cavaliers and Yorkies?

love2driveinct

We love our 2 1/2 year old Cavalier Lucky -- he's brought so much joy to our lives and our household and can't imagine life without him. But... we are always fighting over him, LOL! There are five of us and it seems like two or three of us want his attention or some snuggle time with him at any given time (except during the day when I'm the only one home). I keep an eye on the dogs at my local animal shelter (they post them on Facebook) and right now they have a 7-yr-old male Yorkie that needs a home. Obviously I have no idea if their personalities are compatible and wouldn't know that until Lucky and I went to visit, but I was just wondering if anyone has both and how their temperaments mesh. (Sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks, it won't let me put them in for some reason.)

Guinness had a Yorkie friend. They have generally good, even comical dispositions in my experience. Not as cuddly as a cavalier, but they should really enjoy each other. Depends on the individual.

Keep a Yorkie in a puppy or lion cut (or home hack job) to keep the fur manageable.

My sister and her husband own the craziest Yorkie I have ever met. His name is AJ, he's 4 and even tho my sister took him to a great trainer as a puppy and they work hard with him he still is pretty stubborn. He does some super annoying things, like barking barking barking, and his recall...yeah right, oh and licking the daylights out of anyone trying to pet him:-| He is sweet tho and not at all aggressive. We joke the AJ has the WORSE case of doggie ADD ever!!! Fletcher and AJ get along wonderfully and do enjoy running around together. Every dog is an individual. I know another Yorkie who is wonderfully well mannered, tho she does barks A LOT!

Hmm... we are spoiled with Lucky -- he hardly barks at all. I guess that's a Cavalier thing. :) I'd love to get another one, but we just don't want to spend the money right now and there are so many dogs that need rescuing...

Did you decide to take him? :)

Yorkies like most (all?) terriers are a far barkier breed generally than cavaliers, if that's an issue. But of course, individuals vary -- and a barky dog is a good alarm system for the house! :D

I actually chose cavaliers originally on the basis that they were good with other animals (I have cats) and were not a barky small breed. Only Lily tends to barkbarkbark sometimes, but not all the time.

A yorkie should go fine with a cavalier but the breed personalities are quite different! Terriers generally are more stubborn and they can be nippy. They tend to be a lot more active, too. I know terrier people who adore terriers and would never consider a cavalier. :lol: I love how there are breeds for every personality... :)

I love how Lucky is so quiet. Funny, just now he was barking at a squirrel in the yard, and it's so rare that he barks at anything, everyone in the house gets all excited. LOL We call him the world's worst watchdog -- he hasn't met a person he doesn't instantly love. But... he hasn't met a dog that he isn't afraid of and submissive to. We socialized him when he was young -- took him on walks, to the dog park, and a few rounds of puppy classes and lots of trips to the pet store. But he's still scared and has no interest in playing with another dog, doesn't matter what kind -- big, small, young, old. I'd like to think that if we got another dog, they would eventually bond and become playmates once he became comfortable and warmed up to him or her, but obviously I can't know that for sure. I did not end up taking the yorkie; it was adopted by someone else before I even had the chance. They had dozens of calls. Now I know that I will need to act faster next time if I am interested, but this time it wasn't meant to be since I realize I need to take some more time to think about this. We are a very busy household with kids in multiple activities and sports, a husband working many hours and two jobs, and we also have two show-caliber horses which we board at nearby stables. Not that I think a dog isn't worth every minute of energy, anxiety, work, etc that is part of having one -- I do. I just want to be sure I have that extra time to give. I KNOW I have the extra love to give, that's not even a question. :) PS: If anyone knows why it won't let me use the Enter button on my keyboard to start a new paragraph, please let me know. This is driving me nuts!

I am having the same problem with my enter button. Karlin, HELP!! Sorry you didn't even get the chance to get to really decide whether you wanted the yorkie or not. I love having multiple dogs.

We socialized him when he was young -- took him on walks, to the dog park, and a few rounds of puppy classes and lots of trips to the pet store. But he's still scared and has no interest in playing with another dog, doesn't matter what kind -- big, small, young, old. I'd like to think that if we got another dog, they would eventually bond and become playmates once he became comfortable and warmed up to him or her, but obviously I can't know that for sure.

I have the same issue with Bosco -- we did all the socialization things you mention, yet he is still shy with other dogs that we meet on the street. I've come to accept that this is his personality, and if he doesn't want to "say hello", I don't even try. He surprises me every now and then with interest in a another dog, but those occassions are few and far between (and we walk ALOT!)

We do have two dogs (Japanese Chin), and he is fine with them, and plays and plays, but with other dogs, he is not social.

Back