Thread: Allergies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Allergies

Does anyone else have a dog that suffers from allergies? As it has gotten warmer here my dog started itching and biting his paws. He is currently on anti-histamines which has reduced the itching, but not completely taken it away. Does anyone else have any other allergy remedies?

Post Thanks / Like

Try switching to a grain free diet and eliminate chicken. Our 11 year old Tri has has allergies the majority of his life, but things got much better once we did the switch. Good luck!
    Joanie
    Sam Tailor (11 year old Tri) and Gibbs (2 1/2 year old Blenheim)
    Emma Lou (Nov. 27, 2000 - June 10, 2010)

Post Thanks / Like

In the past week, there is a pollen out there that makes our Sophie itch, scratch, bite, etc. She is fed raw, no grains or carbs, etc. due to her other allergies. This one is seasonal; it happens this time, every year. OTC antihistames don't help her at all. Last year, the vet had to give her an Rx antihistamine, I think it was called Hydroxyzine. He had her on it for 2 or 3 weeks, just enough to get us past whatever was in bloom. It worked well. The biting, scratching, etc. have started again. Once I see raw red skin, I'll take her in and ask for the Rx again. Hopefully it will not come to that, this year.