Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advance notice of cavalier health survey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Please remember to do the health survey form this week.

It is important that everyone possible contributes health information on their cavaliers.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

Submitted my info online.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

We're done here too
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

done
    ~ Kokoda - Ruby - DOB 26/02/2011, Deniki - Tricolour - DOB 17/02/2013 and RIPAnzac ~

Post Thanks / Like

We did ours this morning
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like

Done -its very quick and simple to do.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We filled it out on-line (no need to print out the form) at http://thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/..._13/intro.html

It was surprisingly brief. I am not objecting to that. I did notice that a few disorders were missing. A major one is dry eye (not the curly coat kind -- keratitis sicca or keratoconjunctivitis sicca). Others are:

Skin conditions
    Cerebellar Infarcts -- Strokes
    Eosinophilic Stomatitis
    Fly-Catchers Syndrome
    Muscular Dystrophy
    Blood Platelet issues

I realize that there was a space for listing additional disorders, but when the very uncommon curly coat is listed and the very common dry eye (keratitis sicca or keratoconjunctivitis sicca) is not, it seems odd to me.

I found "Multi Retinal Dysplasia" to be ambigous. There are three or so forms of retinal dysplasia (mild, geographic, and retinal detachment), but I am not familiar with "multi retinal dysplasia".
    Last edited by RodRussell; 3rd June 2013 at 01:58 PM.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post

It was surprisingly brief. I am not objecting to that. I did notice that a few disorders were missing. A major one is dry eye (not the curly coat kind -- keratitis sicca or keratoconjunctivitis sicca). Others are:

Skin conditions
    Eosinophilic Stomatitis
    Fly-Catchers Syndrome
    Muscular Dystrophy
    Blood Platelet issues
    FWIW, these are things I noticed:

"Pancreatic deficiency" is listed, which I guess is supposed to be EPI (exocrine pancreatic insufficiency) -- but pancreatitis is not listed. Pancreatitis (I think) may be more common in Cavaliers than EPI, but I wonder if people will check this item for BOTH diseases (out of confusion) rather than listing pancreatitis under "other," which will distort the results.

Hereditary and juvenile cataracts are the same thing; both terms are listed but no listing for senile cataracts. This may cause some confusion.

And I agree with Rod, KCS is pretty common in the breed and I think should be on the list.

I suppose that eosinophilic stomatitis could be recorded under "auto-immune disease."

Rod, I don't think I would have listed cerebellar infarcts because it is difficult for GP vets to distinguish between those and idiopathic vestibular incidents without an MRI. Very few people do MRI's in those cases because recovery generally takes only a few days. (I've had quite a few teenaged Cavaliers with what we considered to be vestibular incidents, and I never did any diagnostic testing for them. All recovered quickly.) So it would be difficult to say with certainty that a Cavalier had a cerebellar infarct.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

When the census was first announced in the Cavalier Club newsletter a couple of months ago, the writer said, diplomatically, that one of the reasons for doing it was because some members 'felt that Cavaliers were unfairly called an unhealthy breed'. The census may not cover every conceivable ailment, but I hope the results will at least dispel that particular myth! It was simple enough to add in the 'Other' section 'Dry eye (but not curly coat)' for Oliver and 'Keratosis (not Dry Eye) and Myoclonus' for Aled. And I hope lots of people will tick the top 2 boxes on the right - not that I hope lots of Cavaliers have CM/SM, but some people really do need to get their heads pulled out of the sand!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    We filled it out on-line (no need to print out the form) at http://thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/..._13/intro.html

Skin conditions
    Eosinophilic Stomatitis
    Fly-Catchers Syndrome
    Muscular Dystrophy
    Blood Platelet issues

I realize that there was a space for listing additional disorders, but when the very uncommon curly coat is listed and the very common dry eye (keratitis sicca or keratoconjunctivitis sicca) is not, it seems odd to me.

I found "Multi Retinal Dysplasia" to be ambigous. There are three or so forms of retinal dysplasia (mild, geographic, and retinal detachment), but I am not familiar with "multi retinal dysplasia".
    Yes, Dry Eye should have been on the list as it is so very common in cavaliers; it was an oversight by all us brainstorming at the workshop.

This is meant to be a first basic survey to confirm what health issues are common in Cavaliers. More detailed surveys are said to be planned.

Any health survey can only give some indication of prevalence. Deafness, Dry Eye & MVD are relatively cheap and easy to diagnose. SM will inevitably be under-reported.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi