• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Queen Victoria and her love for animals-Dash

anniemac

I came across this article and I thought others with a love of history may enjoy.

For those who don't know about Dash:

“Here lies DASH, the Favourite Spaniel of Queen Victoria
By whose command this Memorial was erected.
He died on the 20 December, 1840 in his 9th year.
His attachment was without selfishness,
His playfulness without malice,
His fidelity without deceit.
READER, if you would live beloved and die regretted, profit by the example of DASH.”

Here is the article:

http://www.instapaper.com/m?u=http:.../pets_history_queen_victorias_favorites_62819

She definitely had a love of animals. I found it interesting that the article said she was known for her passion against animal cruelty and how she would never pardon a prisoner for that crime.

Queen Victoria definitely went up in my estimation when I read that she came back from her coronation, changed her clothes and gave Dash a bath! There's a lovely painting (by Landseer, I think) of Dash with Prince Albert's greyhound.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Queen Victoria definitely went up in my estimation when I read that she came back from her coronation, changed her clothes and gave Dash a bath! There's a lovely painting (by Landseer, I think) of Dash with Prince Albert's greyhound.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I know! She became a Queen then immediately got her hands dirty cleaning dash!

No offense to any current Queens, presidents, etc. but I wonder who has their "people" do those things or taking them to the groomers. Although I think I have read that queen Elizabeth is seen often with her corgies

I watched the movie the young Victoria on Netflix and got so excited to see a cavalier. Maggie took a bit of interest.
They have the scene of her washing dash right after the coronation.

Back