• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Oxygen Tents

anniemac

Has anyone had a home oxygen tent or know anything about them. I would love Suggestions on things that help serious breathing issues in addition to medication that may be prescribed.

Would de-humidifiers or air purifiers help?

Thanks

I don't think a humidifier or purifier would help. I could be wrong.

Do they make those anti-snore strips for dogs? I know they make huge ones for horses.

It sort of depends what is going wrong in the breathing process, and where the problem is.

Could part of his problem be allergies, an anti-histamine might help. Again, it depends what is going wrong and where (and if its one big problem, or a combination of little things).

I don't think a humidifier or purifier would help. I could be wrong.

Do they make those anti-snore strips for dogs? I know they make huge ones for horses.

It sort of depends what is going wrong in the breathing process, and where the problem is.

Could part of his problem be allergies, an anti-histamine might help. Again, it depends what is going wrong and where (and if its one big problem, or a combination of little things).

If they don't make nose strips for dogs then that's a great idea! Think of some of the brachaphylic breeds that would want them. Profits could go to Rupert's fund or rescue :)

I don't think anyone knows for sure what's going on right now. They will know more Monday but in the meantime he is staying at the hospital the weekend to be monitored and but in the oxygen thing if needed.

Yes, I've known quite a few people that have oxygen at home for their dogs. Most people make a coke-bottle mask (lay the mask near the dog's nose while the dog is lying down) rather than making an actual cage. You can make a cage with a crate covered in plastic, but you must be careful because the carbon dioxide (from exhalation) needs to be able to escape the cage. I can print out instructions on this and scan and email to you. You can rent oxygen tanks, etc., but I'd probably buy them if I had a dog like Kennedy. Actually, I'd probably buy or rent an oxygen concentrator rather than tanks that had to be refilled. You can sometimes buy one on ebay.

I still think that none of this is cardiac related, it is all airway disease.

I also think that weight loss would be very helpful. 30 pounds seems very heavy unless he is a really large framed dog.

What does your friend think about the diagnosis of eosinophilic stomatitis? I presume that no one had a clue about this before? I think the GP vet (who may be a nice person, etc.) is totally clueless, FWIW. The standard treatment for stomatitis is prednisone since this is an immune-mediated disease. Pred can also help inflammation and airway disease. But the side effects are going to be very difficult for a dog that is used to eating a lot and who is already overweight. This is a very tough situation.

Air purifier isn't going to do much, and you don't need a humidifier as long as there is central air-conditioning. Keeping the house very cool during the hot, humid summer will be essential.

I'll try to send you info on oxygen tomorrow.

Pat

Yes, I've known quite a few people that have oxygen at home for their dogs. Most people make a coke-bottle mask (lay the mask near the dog's nose while the dog is lying down) rather than making an actual cage. You can make a cage with a crate covered in plastic, but you must be careful because the carbon dioxide (from exhalation) needs to be able to escape the cage. I can print out instructions on this and scan and email to you. You can rent oxygen tanks, etc., but I'd probably buy them if I had a dog like Kennedy. Actually, I'd probably buy or rent an oxygen concentrator rather than tanks that had to be refilled. You can sometimes buy one on ebay.

I still think that none of this is cardiac related, it is all airway disease.

I also think that weight loss would be very helpful. 30 pounds seems very heavy unless he is a really large framed dog.

What does your friend think about the diagnosis of eosinophilic stomatitis? I presume that no one had a clue about this before? I think the GP vet (who may be a nice person, etc.) is totally clueless, FWIW. The standard treatment for stomatitis is prednisone since this is an immune-mediated disease. Pred can also help inflammation and airway disease. But the side effects are going to be very difficult for a dog that is used to eating a lot and who is already overweight. This is a very tough situation.

Air purifier isn't going to do much, and you don't need a humidifier as long as there is central air-conditioning. Keeping the house very cool during the hot, humid summer will be essential.

I'll try to send you info on oxygen tomorrow.

Pat

Thanks Pat! I am glad you picked up on the eosinophilic stomatitis. I had another friend that is not on this forum, that mentioned that also and said I should contact another owner (that you know) that her cavalier sees Dr. Jory. I don't think they really went over that. I contacted the owner of the cavalier with eosinophilic stomatitis but I did not pick up on that exact quote. She said the doctor didn't really mention anything except the inflammation. I will contact more privately. Thank you so much!

Thanks Pat! I am glad you picked up on the eosinophilic stomatitis. I had another friend that is not on this forum, that mentioned that also and said I should contact another owner (that you know) that her cavalier sees Dr. Jory. I don't think they really went over that. I contacted the owner of the cavalier with eosinophilic stomatitis but I did not pick up on that exact quote. She said the doctor didn't really mention anything except the inflammation. I will contact more privately. Thank you so much!

Yes, I read the report closely enough even to see the typos ("rurbinates" instead of "turbinates")! Actually, his name is Jory Olsen, and he is a board certified IMS. His office is about ten minutes from my home.

The stomatitis was actually found last November. I'm surprised that no one said anything or discussed treatment. You had mentioned that prednisone was possibly going to be prescribed, and I presumed that was for the stomatitis. Kennedy has never shown a reluctance to eat?

And there hasn't been a follow up meeting yet to discuss the findings and decide on a treatment plan? Wish I were close enough to go with you to be an "interpreter."

Pat

And there hasn't been a follow up meeting yet to discuss the findings and decide on a treatment plan? Wish I were close enough to go with you to be an "interpreter."

Pat

I wish you were close also because I am taking what she is telling me and then posting that information and there has been things lost in translation. I am not sure about the follow up plan but I am sure there has to be something. He threw up again this morning but she thinks it's from a chalky medicine they give him. It's feels like an episode of House.

Thanks Pat

I wish you were close also because I am taking what she is telling me and then posting that information and there has been things lost in translation. I am not sure about the follow up plan but I am sure there has to be something. He threw up again this morning but she thinks it's from a chalky medicine they give him.

That would be sucralfate.

Reading the actual reports is the most enlightening for me.

Back