Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: experiance with Nyla bones? - Danger

Post Thanks / Like

Default experiance with Nyla bones? - Danger

I filled my apartment with puppy products long before Maggie came home.

One of her favorite things is the chicken flavord nylabone
    http://www.petmountain.com/product/d...en-flavor.html

She bloody loves it. Shes never unsupervised with it..but i notice the ends get rather...chewed to say the least. and she can quiet easily chew off these chunks.
    so i was replacing it rather fast..becasue she just goes gagga over it.
    I decided to buy her a bigger one in hopes it mightlast longer. she had it chewd to bits coming off of it within an hour.
    I know shes loves them..but they dont seem safe to me.

I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiances?
    Thers another nyla bone she has..smaller..clear..flexible. she could care less. im guessing its because it tastes like chicken that she loves it. but who knows. ive taken it away now and probably for the last time. not worth it.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using these? http://www.nylabone.com/product-find...on-chicken.htm The hard white nylabones are the only ones that survive my dogs. They used to have a knuckle bone (that even the squirrels could only get shavings off of, haha), but I don't see it on the website anymore :/ . Have you tried big (around) deer antlers or elk antlers (whole, with the points cut off and the edges sanded down). I get them from a guy on eBay, and I can select the size shape and hardness I need for half the price of the stores. They love them, and you can boil them in chicken broth to reflavor them.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy the Puppy ones for Lady when she was really young, but by around 5-6 months I had to switch to "indestructible" dog toys. No more stuffed toys, ropes, or anything at all that isn't super tough because she eats everything. I still buy nylabones but only the "durachews" (Like Furrfoot linked to above), however I do find those solid as a rock and although the girls dont mind chewing on them I find the kong safestix is a bit "softer" but still does not break pieces off like the softer nylabones.

This one is her favourite. She's had it since September, plays with it everyday, and it's still in perfect condition. It's called her "toy" and she loves wrestling and playing fetch with it, or just chewing on it. Now I personally didn't notice when I purchased it, because I don't have a pervey mind , but every single person that comes into my apartment has something to say about it (including my mother!!). Oh well! She's happy so I'm happy - and so is my wallet since I dont have to buy new toys every week!
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher is a pretty tough chewer so I stick to antlers. I did buy bacon Nyla bone for Fletcher when he was a puppy but he chewed it SO fast I had to take it away because it was too small within 15 minutes. Anything that can be turned into a small piece I don't give him stuffed toys, bully sticks, even tennis ballsand yes he has broken a regular red kong!!!!!!! He has a black one now, I guess my dogs has dinosaur teeth or something He loves squeaky toys are I did buy a "stuff-less" one made for bigger tougher (whatever that is) dogs. So far so good....
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If any dog is chewing ends off a Nylabone (or other toy) it's an inappropriate and unsafe toy. There are several hardness levels available in Nylabones. Most of these come in a flavoured version. I know other companies also do a very hard, chicken flavoured bone chewtoy. I'd throw away the softer ones she can chew off, immediately. An ingested piece of undigestible Nylabone could cause an internal, life-threatening blockage.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree.
    The first few as soon as i saw she was taking chunks off i hucked it and got her a new one..now i just said the hell with it..that CANT be good for her. Sucks cause she loves it so much.

Im nervous to give her a lot of those things..antlers..pig ears..real bones..because i dont want splinters to come off and get lodged in her.

She loves stuffed animlas. She has gone through a few..lamb chops was the first to go...acutally i wouldnt recomend lamb chops at all. it was in vancouver so i had only had maggie a few weeks at this point. we were in van for christmas.
    She was in her kennel and we were on the way home to the ferry..
    She was able to get the squeeker outa lamb chops paw..scared the HELL outa me..i panicked a bit when i coudlnt open the crate fast enough..i think either my sister or my mom had to do it. so we could get hte squeeker outa maggies mouth.
    that got tossed right away.

the kong ones held up alright..for a while.. but the tails broke off or something..cnat remember what happened to aligator. her sock monkey lost its eye.
    obviously dogs go through stuffies

the ones i found have lasted..and i acutally wanna pick up another one for some dog down the road (althogh i have no money right now) are a stuffless giraffe. and http://www.godogfun.com/products/dragons-20121030093249 i bought it at pet smart..because *I* loved it.. i brought it with us when i picked her up from the breeder. it has withstood a LOT. i probably lovei t more then her..but very durable. and oh so cute.

and of course..balls. she loves a good ball. not as much as oliver..oliver could play for hours..maggie is reluctent to give it back.
    i found some awsome one toys r us made http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo and a round one. theyve got a different squeeker and texture then i am used to...are super bouncy..and maggie loves them. i found them for a fw bucks pet smart.
    Oliver and Max and Meeko man, i will meet you at the Rainbow bridge. I love you all. Miss you more then you'll ever know.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree.
    The first few as soon as i saw she was taking chunks off i hucked it and got her a new one..now i just said the hell with it..that CANT be good for her. Sucks cause she loves it so much.

Im nervous to give her a lot of those things..antlers..pig ears..real bones..because i dont want splinters to come off and get lodged in her.

She loves stuffed animlas. She has gone through a few..lamb chops was the first to go...acutally i wouldnt recomend lamb chops at all. it was in vancouver so i had only had maggie a few weeks at this point. we were in van for christmas.
    She was in her kennel and we were on the way home to the ferry..
    She was able to get the squeeker outa lamb chops paw..scared the HELL outa me..i panicked a bit when i coudlnt open the crate fast enough..i think either my sister or my mom had to do it. so we could get hte squeeker outa maggies mouth.
    that got tossed right away.

the kong ones held up alright..for a while.. but the tails broke off or something..cnat remember what happened to aligator. her sock monkey lost its eye.
    obviously dogs go through stuffies

the ones i found have lasted..and i acutally wanna pick up another one for some dog down the road (althogh i have no money right now) are a stuffless giraffe. and http://www.godogfun.com/products/dragons-20121030093249 i bought it at pet smart..because *I* loved it.. i brought it with us when i picked her up from the breeder. it has withstood a LOT. i probably lovei t more then her..but very durable. and oh so cute.

and of course..balls. she loves a good ball. not as much as oliver..oliver could play for hours..maggie is reluctent to give it back.
    i found some awsome one toys r us made http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo and a round one. theyve got a different squeeker and texture then i am used to...are super bouncy..and maggie loves them. i found them for a fw bucks pet smart.
    wait for me...
    Chelsea

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for Nylabones. Since I've heard that dogs can break off bits and choke or get them stuck in their insides, I've tossed them all.

What I do give my power chewing Goldens however is raw marrow bones (unlikely to splinter when raw--it's the cooked ones that are trouble), bully sticks, and chewables made by ChuckIt and Kong. The ChuckIt balls are virtually indestructible, even for my male Golden. He's never managed to chew a hole in one. I saw one damaged ChuckIt ball at a dog park once, property of a pit bull with massive jaws. Another item I've heard good things about is Himalayan dog chews. I gather most dogs adore them, but haven't tried them with mine. As you mentioned, you have to always supervise when they're chewing on something. Almost anything can break off a piece. I buy the black (heavy duty) Kongs for my big dogs and they each get one at bedtime, stuffed with kibble and peanut butter. They haven't damaged those at all. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I love bully sticks (not personally , they probably taste awful). For an enthusiastic chewer it may only take a few minutes to burn through one, but it's totally edible.

Post Thanks / Like

I use bully sticks for BelllaMia, but for variety, I tried the Himalayn Dog Chew and she loves it! It too is completely edible. She'll chew on that thing for a good 2 hours before I pick it up and refrigerate till the next day. One chew lasts 4-5 days.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart