• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

im getting another cavalier! suggestions on food?

emmaK11

can anyone give me good healthy puppy food options. im leaning towards orijen puppy right now, wondering if the kibble size will be too large though. also i feed honest kitchen to my other cav, should i get that?

I would check with the breeder first to see what the pup has been eating. You might want to start with that and slowly transition anything new in. I know Bosco had a very sensitive tummy during his first 6 months.

I fed my dogs origin for years, with no issues. There was some of distribution problem about a year ago, and I was unable to get it from my local store. I switched to buffalo blue -small breed, and again, no issues.

GOod luck.

Joan

Yeah you are going to need to start with whatever puppy is eating now. Remember "puppy yucky poop" is pretty normal (any change results in it) so don't add anything to help.

Personally I do not see any point in feeding "puppy" food. A good diet is a good diet. I switched Fletcher to adult food at about 14 weeks, at the time I fed Wellness Core kibble only but as I have learned more about dog nutrition I have added fresh food to his diet (cooked and raw), I also have learned wet dog food really does have more benefits than feeding only dry kibble. Each to their own I guess.

Both Orijen and Honest Kitchen are good quality foods just skip the puppy food. Trust me kibble size does not matter to most dogs.

I would stick with honest kitchen, just slowly mix it into whatever kibble the puppy is on for the first week or so. I used to feed the 6 fish orijen and found that formula too rich for the girls' stomachs - but HK is better (IMO) than any kibble, even orijen.

I didn't like THK, because THK + cavalier ears was always messy for Luke. I switched him to an adult all life stages food shortly after he came home. I waited till he was settled in a week or two with me, and then I transitioned him to a different food. I really don't remember what I fed him then, but currently it's Nature's Variety. The pieces are small, but he has never cared about that. You could always soak it in some water if the puppy has trouble with it.

Back