• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Real grown up hair and daily swimming OH MY

MomObvious

Well, its official Fletcher did not loose his love of the swimming pool over the winter! We are in our pool everyday and so is he, I love that he plays with us in the pool but OMG the hair! Last summer I rinsed him off with hose when we were done wait for him to air dry then brush him and had no problems with his hair, tho he was a puppy. This year its not working out so well:shock: Tangles, mats, knots oh my! the worst being behind his ears and those feathers. I don't want to actually use soap or any products on him daily that's not too good for his skin but I need some ideas. I obviously need something mild, I use Isle of Dogs shampoo and conditioner which I love but if i make some detangler spray with the conditioner would that be alright? I'm also thinking about trying a coconut oil based homemade spray too. I don't know. Luckily he has never had a skin problem. Hopefully one of you has a swimmer like Fletcher and can give me some advice.

Thanks!

haha, I jinx myself with my last hair post....saying I never have knots. OMgosh my little girl blew her coat and I am experiencing knotville galore. She is just over a year old so maybe I spoke too soon last time. Anyway, I picked up some super cheap walmart brand baby detangler. Works great so far. I have been so spoiled with my boy dog as he has very different coat texture. I use C.C. ice on ice for his daily coat care, it contains sunscreen and conditions his coat. The sun bleaches his hair red in the summertime if I don't use it.

I think your idea about the coconut oil is worth a try. I don't have a pool but it's what I'd do if I had one. There is a commercial hair product made with cc oil for humans--I used to use it when I was actively swimming every day. The trick is to put a light coat on before swimming, especially on the tips od the fur-hair, and then wash it out with dog shampoo afterward. The mats will be easier to manage if you brush him well every day before he swims. Using a pair of thinning shears on the mats will help, too.

Would love to see pictures of him in the pool!

Luke only gets to swim in natural bodies of water, as we have no pool that he can go in, but I find it helps if he is brushed before he goes in. If there is a small mat, the getting wet and drying will only make it bigger. He is regularly brushed every night anyway. If he does get mats, just wait till he dries to go to work on them. I just use a regular kid's detangling spray on him, and it works fine. It definitely helps in general if I use conditioner on his hair when I wash him. He seems to dry faster with conditioner, and if he is getting a lot of mats, it means he needs a bath.

Bio-Groom has a product that de-tangles, called Coat Polish. It doesn't work miracles, perhaps because I use it sparingly, but it helps a lot.

Back