Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worried she doesn't weigh enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Luke is probably the only lean cavalier my vets have ever seen, and they do usually back off when I mention the activities he is in.
    Heh! Yes I think that IS an issue... also I think vets often fear saying anything about weight to owners. Eevery time I go to the vet most of the dogs in the waiting room ar fat and regularly there are incredibly obese dogs too, often with health issues they might not have if they were fitter (joint problems, heart problems, diabetes etc).

My vet also says my four are just about the only cavaliers he ever sees that are an appropriate weight . Sadly, however, I have willpower for the dogs, and less for my own waistline...
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    My vet also says my four are just about the only cavaliers he ever sees that are an appropriate weight . Sadly, however, I have willpower for the dogs, and less for my own waistline...
    My vet says the same thing. I see so many cavaliers around my town that are so heavy. It's really sad. I always think that my dogs are lucky to have me (to keep at a trim weight), why aren't I lucky to have me? I can resist those big beautiful brown eyes, but I can't resist my blue eyes when they zone in on a bag of potato chips!!!!!
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

3. Likes Joanie Davison liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gracie is 13 lbs and a bit overweight (12 is probably her ideal weight) - she only gets 1/2 cup of food per day. Lady is approaching 16lbs and people tell me she's too thin! Not the vet though - I think she's perfect. It all depends on the individual dog . But like the others said, it's easiest to tell when they're wet so you can see their frame better.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I confess I just treated myself to dessert when out to dinner just now...

Going back to the original post -- I hope all is OK.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

If I had willpower for my own waistline... well. I don't know what I'd do. I had Luke and one of our others at the vet Monday. I actually have to feed the other one a bit more. She should be 42-43, and was 38. They've been getting more regular exercise weight pulling, and she just drops weight way fast with a bit of exercise. We saw a new guy on his first day. I bet I'm the only person his entire first week, heck, month, he will tell to put weight on their dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Bosco had a ton of hair, and I was worried that he was overweight. I could feel his ribs and when wet, a waistline could be detected. Vet said his wieght (21 lbs) was perfect, but to keep it at 21 lbs. I recently got his hair cut, and now I can see that he is fine -- no worries. He is a trim CKC that was just hiding under a heavy coat!

As for being underweight, my pediatrician always told me that as long as the child grows within their own "growth curve", there is nothing to worry about. My youngest was very tiny as a child and I worried, but now she is a tiny teen. Makes sense to me now, she just has a tiny frame.