• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tiny Maggots??

Dublin

Lucy just threw these up.... They were still moving!!!

Any ideas what they might be? They look like tiny maggots.

I do feed raw but everything is stored in the fridge or freezer till needed & I check the food before I feed it.

Ive just given both dogs a dose of drontal

Tapeworms. They look like grains of rice, except they move. It's not an emergency, but I would give my vet a call, they may want to give a stronger pulse of a dewormer.

I agree with calling your vet for advice. I would also try to get a sample of the vomit or stool for your vet to test.

Tapeworms is what I was thinking. Gross, I know and that would totally freak me out but really its not a big big deal easily cured with meds. Call the vet as soon as you can, I would not bother with an emergency vets unless the dog is non-stop vomiting. One of my kids had them once but the symptom was diarrhea, he was potty trained at the time so I could have easily missed it :) It was pretty easy to cure.

Let us know what the vet thinks.

One of my hidden talents is knowledge of nasty rashes and parasites thanks to my many many years of working with children. :biggrin:

I'm confused here.....I wouldn't think tapeworms would be vomited, just pooped. I've never seen them in a dog but we had a cat that had them. They'd come out her bottom in very short, rather flat segments, less than 1/8" long. I've always heard that humans don't get them but maybe that's incorrect. What you're describing sounds more like pinworms which kids get frequently but not from animals. They get them from the soil, a sandbox, etc. There's oral medication for pinworms but, again, it's my understanding that other animals don't have pinworms.

I would drop off a sample at your vet's when they are open and they can tell you exactly what kind of worms they are and what you need to get it cleared up ;) .

Sorry pic didnt go up with post.

Defo not tapeworm!

Took my photo to the vets & was defo maggots! They recon she must have eaten something in the garden that had maggots in it & then she threw them up. I searched everywhere but found nothing so its a bit of a mystery!
The vet said she must have only just eaten them as if they had gone further through her system she would have digested them. I gave her (& Sparky) a drontal tablet yesterday but the vet said it dosnt cover maggots but they were due soon anyway so no harm. They didnt want to see Lucy unless she became unwell when she hasnt so all is well & its all a mystery!

Back