Thread: Help Preventing and Removing Matts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help Preventing and Removing Matts?

How do you deal with tangles? Lucy has very thick hair and even if I brush her everyday she still ends up getting them. Should I just cut them of and wait for her fur to grow back or try and come it out? How can I prevent this.

Thanks

Lucy and Kingsley

Post Thanks / Like

I use a conditioner and regular de-tangling spray on both of mine - but its Dillon (tri) who has the very worst tangles , usually his ears after foraging in grassy places, so often grooming is more than once per day. Only if the situation is dire and we aren't getting anywhere do I get the scissors out....I do have a matt splitter but not that keen on using it. I think conditioner has the biggest effect - sometimes I apply a little straight onto the ear hair and gently massage it in. Lucy (ruby) is far easier as her coat is a different texture entirely...hope this helps
    Dillon tri boy and Lucy Goose our ruby girl & Katerina, that's me!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow sounds SO familiar!!!! Now that Fletcher is swimming so much the tangles are worse. I brush him out every day but still tangles and small mats appear. I just Isle of Dogs oatmeal conditioner I LOVE it! I also do use a de-tangling spray I "invented" myself that is mostly coconut oil but again he's swimming like 4-7 times a week.

Personally, if I come across a real mat in a sensitive area (for Fletcher that is his arm-pits for better lack of explanation) I have also cut out mats behind his ears that were just super bad. Because Fletcher's hair is so thick I can never tell the difference plus he's happier because the brushing session ended quicker. If the mat or tangle is in a place I would notice I cut his hair I will work in out. Just start at the bottom of the mat and work your way up, de-tangling spray helps.

I really really do not want to cut Fletcher I love the full furred cavalier look but I also have to do what works for us. When he was a puppy and now as his full coat is in I used to obsess about him looking perfect at all times. Like I would brush him 3 times a day....like a Mommy trying to keep her little boys white suit clean My other two legged kids walk around looking like rag-a-muffins so its alright for Fletcher to have hair out of place too.
    Melissa
    "If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life."
    -Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We use Cowboy Magic, a de-tangler.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like

I did get Bosco shaved down for the summer. I also prefer the long haired, natural look, but the humidity and heat in NYC made my decision easier. I know he is much cooler and the grooming is much easier. I left his ears, paws, and legs and tail alone, and just had his body and underside cut. It's growing back very nicely, and I figure he will have his full coat back by autumn, and I will
    leave him alone then!