• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help Preventing and Removing Matts?

Luly

How do you deal with tangles? Lucy has very thick hair and even if I brush her everyday she still ends up getting them. Should I just cut them of and wait for her fur to grow back or try and come it out? How can I prevent this.

Lucy and Kingsley

I use a conditioner and regular de-tangling spray on both of mine - but its Dillon (tri) who has the very worst tangles , usually his ears after foraging in grassy places, so often grooming is more than once per day. Only if the situation is dire and we aren't getting anywhere do I get the scissors out....I do have a matt splitter but not that keen on using it. I think conditioner has the biggest effect - sometimes I apply a little straight onto the ear hair and gently massage it in. Lucy (ruby) is far easier as her coat is a different texture entirely...hope this helps:)

Oh wow sounds SO familiar!!!! Now that Fletcher is swimming so much the tangles are worse. I brush him out every day but still tangles and small mats appear. I just Isle of Dogs oatmeal conditioner I LOVE it! I also do use a de-tangling spray I "invented" myself that is mostly coconut oil but again he's swimming like 4-7 times a week.

Personally, if I come across a real mat in a sensitive area (for Fletcher that is his arm-pits for better lack of explanation) I have also cut out mats behind his ears that were just super bad. Because Fletcher's hair is so thick I can never tell the difference plus he's happier because the brushing session ended quicker. If the mat or tangle is in a place I would notice I cut his hair I will work in out. Just start at the bottom of the mat and work your way up, de-tangling spray helps.

I really really do not want to cut Fletcher I love the full furred cavalier look but I also have to do what works for us. When he was a puppy and now as his full coat is in I used to obsess about him looking perfect at all times. Like I would brush him 3 times a day....like a Mommy trying to keep her little boys white suit clean ;) My other two legged kids walk around looking like rag-a-muffins so its alright for Fletcher to have hair out of place too.

I did get Bosco shaved down for the summer. I also prefer the long haired, natural look, but the humidity and heat in NYC made my decision easier. I know he is much cooler and the grooming is much easier. I left his ears, paws, and legs and tail alone, and just had his body and underside cut. It's growing back very nicely, and I figure he will have his full coat back by autumn, and I will
leave him alone then!

Back