• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help with ideas for cavaliers with new borns

anniemac

First let me say I'm not pregnant :). I'm going to a baby shower for someone who has a cavalier. He is quite a wild/excited one. Any gift ideas or something one may need for a new born with a dog?

Advice for the new mom?? Just kidding. Actually there are some good articles on dogs and children. You could find them and print them out for her. You could find a nice doggy daycare in her area and get her a gift certificate for it... Good luck!

I love that idea Emkaybee, daycare is a great idea.

Possibly also toys like the Nina Otson (not sure I spelled that right) brain toys might keep her cavalier busy for a while.

Those are both great ideas! I actually bought these cavalier finger puppets a long time ago. I figure I could use them as a gift topper. I wish I had more time because we are also supposed to bring a children's book. I bet there are some good ones with cavaliers :(.

I have never been a mom but I asked my mom friends and they all agree I should buy something from her registry. Boring to me but I think the puppets are good to add a personal touch. Daycare is a good idea and I would also offer to keep Elvis when they are in the hospital and first days, but I'm sure my other friend has that covered. Ugh! Baby showers are not fun!

I would definitely choose something from her registry.
Does she know if it's a boy or girl?
Baby Clothes are always welcome, age appropriate educational toys, Baby bath gift sets, crib mobiles,
I love Eric Carle books, the very hungry caterpillar and very busy spider.. if they're on her list, go for them.
the nicest thing you can get for a new Mother, is to choose a gift that she will like, but even more importantly, one she will use and associate with you.
It might be best to avoid anything canine related..
Sins

I would definitely choose something from her registry.
Does she know if it's a boy or girl?
Baby Clothes are always welcome, age appropriate educational toys, Baby bath gift sets, crib mobiles,
I love Eric Carle books, the very hungry caterpillar and very busy spider.. if they're on her list, go for them.
the nicest thing you can get for a new Mother, is to choose a gift that she will like, but even more importantly, one she will use and associate with you.
It might be best to avoid anything canine related..
Sins

I agree and I figure new moms need those essential things. Should I avoid even putting a finger puppet as part of the wrapping? It is about the baby and I don't want to take that away, but they are cute. Maybe for a first birthday or something. I probably will never find a man to marry and have children of my own :(

The finger puppet is a lovely idea, my kids loved them for many years...and yes, they were eaten by Daisy lol!
The dogs currently love Angry birds and Ivy will take the first opportunity to go on a raid of my teenage daughter's bedroom, so many cuddly toys.
As for marriage and children, I think enjoy a happy carefree life, make the most of it. Wait until you see your friend with her new bundle of joy,believe me,a pack of cavaliers are easy in comparison.
Sins

Anniemac,

I often will get something from the registry, and then something "from me". Finger puppets are a great choice, and can make the presentation lovely. There is no reason to feel that just because you are buying from the registry that your entire gift and relationship with this person has to be dictated by impersonality.

Well, the finger puppet was a hit!! All these mom's got stuff they thought helped them. My registry gift wasn't cute but the "Elvis" (cavalier finger puppet) seemed to be what she liked the most :)

Couldn't help to play with Kennedy while others were googling over their babies. Guess Elton is my baby :)

If your friend wants some more suggestions on getting ready for a new baby, with a dog, there are some good links in the thread on kids and cavaliers pinned in the training section, which include book suggestions. :D

If your friend wants some more suggestions on getting ready for a new baby, with a dog, there are some good links in the thread on kids and cavaliers pinned in the training section, which include book suggestions. :D

Thanks Karlin! I will pass on the information. I might know nothing about babies but I'm known as the crazy cavalier lady. I know her cavalier is more unpredictable but even Kennedy (has sweetest temperament) all should be watched. Sadly I hope Kennedy will be alive when she has her baby (newly pregnant). I will read it too in case Elton is ever around.

Im pregnant at the moment & I dont mean to sound horrible but if someone turned up to a baby shower preaching about my dogs id be more than a little offended!!

Since I announced im pregnant too many people seem to think they have the right to tell me how to manage me dogs, from not letting them on the furniture, putting them out the back & the worst was rehoming them!!!!

Im pretty sure if your friend wants some advice about her dogs she will ask.

(Again sorry if that sounds harsh!)

Im pregnant at the moment & I dont mean to sound horrible but if someone turned up to a baby shower preaching about my dogs id be more than a little offended!!

Since I announced im pregnant too many people seem to think they have the right to tell me how to manage me dogs, from not letting them on the furniture, putting them out the back & the worst was rehoming them!!!!

Im pretty sure if your friend wants some advice about her dogs she will ask.

(Again sorry if that sounds harsh!)

Tell people yes you are going to rehome the dogs AND this baby too one day when you have another. That should shut them up! Un-dog people annoy me sometimes too with their dumb ideas "its just a dog" NO ITS MY DOG and an IMPORTANT PART of MY LIFE AND HOUSEHOLD!!!!!!! Hey your pregnant and moody use it as an opportunity to speak your mind icon_devil

LOL! Someone actually said "rehome them"? I think my mouth would have dropped to the floor and it takes a lot to render me speechless! During pregnancy and continuing into the first few years of parenthood, everyone has advice to give. Just ignore them. I had a cat when I had my first, and my MIL, who was afraid of all animals, was certain the cat was going to attack or smother the baby when I wasn't looking. Guess what? We all survived and co-existed quite happily!

All the best with the pregnancy!

Joan

Back