• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Stubborn boy!

CSutherland

Bentley, age 2.5, is going through a stubborn phase. He can & will hold his potty forever if it suits him. It's almost noon and he hasn't pooped or peed since well before dark yesterday. He wants to be with me all the time so if I go outside he'll step onto the patio, sniff everything, turn around and go back inside. It may have started when it was storming a few days ago. He'd scratch on the FRONT door (not where he goes out, but where he alerts us) but when I'd open the back door he'd see the rain, hear thunder and come back in. I knew he was hurting to go so I finally used an umbrella and took him out on a leash! I had hoped I'd never have to do that again after we moved from the wide open country into town with a secure privacy fence! He'll probably pee for 30 seconds when he does finally go out, but I don't know how he holds it so long.

The rain throws off Fletcher too. He HATES to go out in the rain even tho he has NO problem getting wet in the pool every afternoon with the kids. Sometimes I do "give in" and take him out on the leash just to get him to go too, for some reason this works. However, I don't have any problems getting him to go out back when the rain is over.

My advice is the just wait him out. Be VERY alert (like you are) because you don't want him to pee inside. If possible I'd go sit and stay out on the patio for a bit, if its not crazy hot.

My 3 year old hates the rain as well, it has not been unknown for me to stand outside in a coat with my nightie on to get him to go outside, it is surprising how long they can hang on, the first thing my young one has on his mind when he first gets up in the morning is his breakfast and he will not go outside until my older boy goes out, who is quite happy to wander around in the rain. I had tried lifting Ollie out and closing the door to see if he goes to the toilet, but I have to walk away from the door because if he sees me looking out of the window he runs straight up to the door again.

We had a bit of thunder the other night and it was my young one that started to bark and the older boy does not really care although Ollie the young one is more laid back about things in life than Jasper the older one, just goes to show how different they all are.

I went to the store and hubby said he finally peed at 3:25 pm, about 20 hours since last time! That hurts me to think about it. He has been known to poop inside in an emergency but hasn't peed inside for many, many months, maybe over a year. I really don't want to start the "going outside with him in all kinds of weather" to get him to go. That was one of the reasons we were so happy to move into town with the secure fence and it was heaven for 6 months.

I am having the same problem with Nina. She will no longer pee at night since the fireworks that lasted more than a week. She hates to go out after dark now. I now take her on a lead so she will at least get to the grass, but she just stands there and looks scared. I try to make it a good time by talking to her, and petting, but still no luck. When were were camping last week she was fine, it is the association with the back yard and noise. So she holds it every night for 14 hours when we are at home.

Update: This morning I was up at 5:15; in about 30 minutes Bentley found me, sat on my lap a while, then I fed him his breakfast. He had also been slow about eating breakfast for a few days. Today as soon as of dropped the kibble in the bowl he came in, ate it right up, drank and went to his post by the FRONT door. I said, "Come on, let's go potty," which lately has meant nothing to him. This time he came right out, pooped, then peed. All before 7:00. What on earth?

Luke was being a butt about going out on wet grass this weekend while we were away. I kept carrying him all the way out onto the field, and then he had to walk over the grass to get back inside. Of course, I later discovered he had a good excuse for it. He ripped off a dew claw acting like a maniac in his crate (we were at a flyball tournament). They usually do have a good excuse for it.

Back