• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Potty training question

akarned

I just want say I love this site, I have learned so much. I have been reading and learning from this site since January when I got my first cavalier, his name is Wilson and he is 8 months old. Now to my question on potty training. Wilson is doing great with it thanks to all the info I found on here and have been following very strictly. He has had two pee accidents in the last 3 months and the last poo accident was in April. I still watch him like a hawk and he has access to kitchen and living room during the day unless I go to another room then I take him with me. I am still praising and treating everytime he goes but I am wondering at what point should I start weaning him off of treats or do you continue to always treat? I don't want to go backwards at this point so I need some advise. Thanks

I would stop giving treats but continue to praise. 8 months old he should be pretty much trained by now so try stopping the treats but continue to praise and he should be fine.

Thanks, I have started to wean him off of treats. It's hard when he looks up at me with his beautiful eyes expecting a treat.

Sounds like Wilson is doing great with the potty training! Good for him! You could give him a treat every once and a while. It will still encourage the good behavior and as long as he maintains a good weight, a treat won't hurt him.

My husband loves to give the dogs treats when walking them, so when I walk with him, the dogs always are pausing to look at him for their treats and the walks last twice as long! I don't give treats, so when I go out with them, it's all business.

I think that I will treat once in a while to reinforce it. That's what I have been doing with recall and he is doing well with that.

I think that I will treat once in a while to reinforce it. That's what I have been doing with recall and he is doing well with that.

Recall is the most important command of all as it could save your dog's life. For Recall, he should always get a treat, and a high-value treat (real chicken or something that he loves). It's something I practice with my dogs daily. I have 3 dogs, and they will turn on a dime if we are outside, which is where we practice.

joan

Our 9 month boy Teddy caught on to the potty training pretty early on, so we were lucky in that respect, but we still give him commands as he goes outside, including his trigger words "outside outside" and "wee wees teddy". i just read somewhere that just when you think you have cracked it, they suddenly become willful, and 'forget' everything, so we are hedging our bets.

Back