• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ticks

Sydneys Mom

What is the best thing to use? I pulled tick off BellaMia yesterday and need to get something. I use to use Frontline on Sydney, but he had skin issues and had bad reactions to it so I'm afraid to use it again. BellaMia loves the outdoors and is always sticking her nose into something where it doesn't belong! So I need something.

Any natural/herbal remedies you can recommend?

For natural tick deterrent, cedar oil is amazing. But you have to apply every time the go outside really because it only lasts 24 hours.

I prefer a tick collar - tick collars are not natural, but much safer than spot on's as they don't contain a neuro toxin like spot on's do (which is why some dogs have a reaction to them). Tick collars (usually) are made from an antidepressant derivative and don't soak into the skin/internal system. They usually last for 3 months :)

Last summer was a crazy tick (well all bugs) season here because he had a very mild winter before. I used Advantix II on Fletcher and STILL had problems with ticks. Someone recommended cedar oil so I tried it and it really worked. I just applied put a little on my hands and rubbed ran them under Fletcher's belly and down his legs before we went "grass walking". Plus it smells good. This year I have not had to use it because the Advantix II is working. I don't think there really is a difference between Frontline and Advantix so just try the cedar oil.

Back