Thread: Arguments over food

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arguments over food

I have an 8mth old female and a 11week old male cavi they get on brilliant. They have eaten together fine but the last couple of days the 8 mth old goes for the youngster if they have dried food. She don't get aggro over treats or anything else.
    Any ideas what's up n what to do.
    My initial idea is she thinks he is stealing her food and hence y she gets aggro.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

You should keep them separated while they eat so they don't have a chance to try to take the other's food or get in a fight. I give Gracie a bit of a headstart with her bowl because when Lady finishes she goes over to try to take the rest of Gracie's. It's easy to just keep them apart so they can each eat in peace.
    Courtney
    Lady (1.5 year old tricolour) & Gracie (4 year old blenheim)
    "Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles M. Schulz

Post Thanks / Like

But y have they started doing this.
    Will they b able to eat together eventually in same room

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

How close are they eating? Dogs need personal space while they eat. If you want them to eat in the same area you must train them. Put a leash on your pups. Teach them to sit politely for dinner. Don't let them eat until you give them a release command. If your older pup goes after the younger dogs food give her a leash correction and make her sit again and start over. I think the older dog is trying to show the younger boy she is boss. If your older pup is going after the younger pup I would feed the younger pup in a crate so he doesn't feel pressure from the older dog and he can eat in peace.
    owned by BratBoy ^see avatar