• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rabies close to home!

That is scary. We had something digging under our crawl space and trapped one ground hog and two raccoons. The groundhog was cute (even if destructive) and the raccoons were pretty much just scary looking. Maybe it's because I know they can carry rabies.

I agree, make sure you supervise when in your backyard and even better just walk for a while until you have a better sense of the magnitude of the issue. That raccoon got it's rabies from somewhere ...

(PS ... our trapped animals were released in the wild in a less populated area ... we're approximately 1 mile from Manhattan!)

I ride my bike in this area from time to time! We live up against Newport News Park, so I always watch over Charlie when he's out.

Yep, this happened in an area I walk Fletcher everyday! Scary how close it is. My dogs will not be using the doggie door at will for a bit. Any other tips???

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/rabid-raccoon-attacks-dog-in-york-county
Re: "Any other tips." Yes, I'd contact animal control to determine what counsel they may have to offer. Equally important, if I lived there I want to know if there were any other incidents of this nature and, how does the municipality intend to get residents advised regarding any outcomes with this investigation. Don't let them tell you to watch media coverage. If you have a neighborhood association or animal shelter in your community I'd push that they communicate directly to these organizations and hopefully they (neigh assoc and humane soc) will post updates on their website.

Re: "Any other tips." Yes, I'd contact animal control to determine what counsel they may have to offer. Equally important, if I lived there I want to know if there were any other incidents of this nature and, how does the municipality intend to get residents advised regarding any outcomes with this investigation. Don't let them tell you to watch media coverage. If you have a neighborhood association or animal shelter in your community I'd push that they communicate directly to these organizations and hopefully they (neigh assoc and humane soc) will post updates on their website.

Great idea, I will make some calls tomorrow. Thanx

Back