• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brain tumor :(

Ayesha

I found out today that one of my two 7 year old Cavaliers, Sammy, has a brain tumor. My other Cav was JUST diagnosed with MVD over the weekend, stage 4 - I posted in the MVD section about it. I am devastated.

Sammy's tumor is in his nasal passages and up into his brain causing deterioration of the skull. I had taken him in for a lump on his forehead, had it aspirated but nothing showed up. 3 weeks later it was bigger and his sneezing/wheezing worse so they did an Xray and found the tumor. He is feeling pretty ok right now with antihistamines, but I fear that in the next days to weeks I will have to make the painful but necessary decision to let him go.

Are brain tumors common in Cavaliers? Are there any diseases this breed does not get? I love my babies so much but this is tearing me apart and I don't know if I can ever own a Cavalier again.

Has this been diagnosed as squamous cell carcinoma? I've known of several dogs of different breeds that had SCC which began in various locations in the head, including the jaw, the sinus cavities, the mouth, the nasal passages. The problem is that it generally spreads rapidly. If the location is in a place where it can be surgically removed with wide margins, the prognosis is pretty good. (Cathy's Cavalier Jake had a section of his jaw removed when he was pretty young and is still cured years later.) But often it is in a location where it can't be removed. My neighbor had radiation done at Auburn University Vet School for her fox terrier (age 5) whose SCC started in the sinus cavities (lump on forehead was the first sign) but the side effects were pretty bad, it was expensive and there were daily visits for weeks, and he did not survive. One of my Cavaliers developed an oral tumor when she was 15 which spread pretty rapidly and I did not put her through any treatment. I did not have a biopsy done, but it was likely SCC. This is not a Cavalier breed problem, but it can happen with all breeds and is often diagnosed in middle aged dogs as well as elderly dogs.

http://www.morrisanimalfoundation.org/animal-lovers/squamous-cell-carcinoma.html

I'm very sorry that you are having to deal with this tough situation.

Pat

Hello Ayesha, So sorry to read you are going through this. To have one poorly cavalier must be awful but 2 is unbearable. I don't have any advice like others will have but just wanted to send love and say Im thinking of you, be assured that what ever decision you make about Sammy will be the right one. Mel X

You certainly have your hands full. I have no advice to give you, just wanted you to know I was thinking about you and Sammy.

How's Charlie? Have you gotten him to a cardiologist yet?

Keep us updated. We're all here to share information if we have it and support each other.

One diagnosis would be hard enough; I am so sorry that you have had two, so close together. Pat has made some good observations. I was thinking the only other cavalier I know of that has had this was Cathy's Jake (as Pat recalls too) and remember how worrying that was for her, but the location enabled a successful surgery, which isn't always an option.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Unfortunately it is all in Sammy's nasal passages, growing into the brain and starting to break down the skull. He's very wheezy, but an antihistamine with steroid is helping. It's very advanced and my vet doesn't feel that a neurologist or any treatment will help. I don't want him to suffer. Right now he's eating very well, and happy. I'm just keeping him comfortable and I doubt that he has long. :(

Because of Sammy I have not set up a cardiology appointment for Charlie yet...I know from the emergency vet Xray that he is not in heart failure. I did start him on fish oil supplements plus I am transitioning all my dogs to the Nature's Domain salmon formula. They love it, but phhhhheeeewwww fish gas! At least I have something to laugh about in this awfulness.

I lost one at four years old to a brain tumour (diagnosed by MRI), it was huge sadly. Good luck with your boy, terribly sad.

I'm so sorry this is happening to Sammy. All I can say is to enjoy all the precious days you have left with him.

I don't think brain tumours are particularly a Cavalier thing, just very bad luck. And doubly hard for you coming on top of worry about Charlie's heart murmur. Thinking of you.:hug:

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back