• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What to look for with CHF?

Emkaybee

Lately my Tess has been looking plump. Where before she had a bit of a tuck between her legs and tummy now she looks quite barrel-shaped.

I weighed her this morning and she has put on about 1.5 pounds. I'm worried that she is filling up with fluid, even though she's been taking her heart medicines regularly. I've left a message for her vet to call me, but I thought I'd ask here if this could be a symptom. It's entirely possible that she was fd too much while we were on vacation but I don't recall her looking this plump when we picked her up at the boarder's. Any advice or thoughts from forum members?

It could very well be fluid unfortunately. Hopefully you've spoken to your vet now, but you can often tell if it's fluid. If you roll her on to her back, and tap her belly gently, you can see ripples if it is fluid.

Do hope you manage to get her sorted, she may need her medication adjusted, it is best to work with a cardiologist if you can, as they have the experience and knowledge.

Has the vet found a murmur coming from the tricuspid valve? As that valve deteriorates, it can lead to fluid retention. If so, the weight gain may well be due to that, especially when there is no other explanation you can think of.

Thanks all. Our regular vet won't be in until tomorrow but she's very good about calling back. And we have a cardio on consult through the vet's office. I don't know about the tricuspid valve but will ask. And I'm going to go roll her over and tap on her belly right now.

She overall seems quite happy and is not coughing.

Vet's office called this morning and asked me to bring her back. The vet tech weighed her and looked at her chart and said yes she had a gained a pound and did look a bit rounder (I knew that). Asked me to bring her in weekly for a while to check her weight. Said since Tess isn't coughing a lot and seems perky that she wasn't too concerned but we should keep an eye on it. It is entirely possible that my boarder guy mis-read my instructions to give her one cup a day of food for one cup at breakfast and at dinner. And I'm sure Tess would have happily gobble it all up without complaint! :) So we're watching to see if the weight drops off.

Back