Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain when picking up Sadie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin View Post
    I don't think any form of alternative medicine will deal with this kind of pain issue, whether caused by the leg or back -- these are as you have said, fairly serious issues that do often need surgical repair to give any quality of life. For a dog in a lot of pain it would be a better option to lose the leg entirely than try and struggle on with the pain and using lots of painkillers, if a repair surgery couldn't be done or afforded.
    Karen wrote: "but praying she doesn't need a hip replacement, as this seems to be where they think the problem may be, and my insurance doesn't cover prosthesis/implants, and we all know how expensive they are,"
    ---------------------------

Yikes - there is a treatment option for a Cavalier (or other small dog) with hip dysplasia that does not involve implants or prosthetics and there is certainly no need to remove a leg!! A femoral head osteotomy can be performed on a small dog, where they simply remove the "ball" end of the femur. The tendons, etc. hold the leg in place. This shouldn't be much more expensive (if at all) than removing a limb and it is far less expensive than a joint replacement surgery.

I've had a couple of rescues that had FHO surgery and they did very well into their teens with no pain or restriction of movement.

http://www.2ndchance.info/hipsurgery.htm

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

2. Thanks Karlin, Nicki thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I totally agree, Pat -- surgery options would be explored before they'd be replacing entire joints or using prosthetics! . On removing a leg -- my (poorly made!) point was more that if the situation were totally down to costs, and the situation severe, it would be kinder to remove a leg than do nothing at all for an animal in pain -- I didn't make that clear. I've worked around enough rescues where decisions have sometimes come to that on the basis of costs and mediocre prognosis for surgery and saving a limb.

Karen: were they actually talking about something as involved as prosthetics or implants? If not, and you are worried (as you clearly are) about what surgery might involve, and costs, I'd give your vet a ring to talk through the options.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Karlin for your advice over Sadies situation, well had an appointment with vet this morning, and explained what they found on x-rays, the good news is at this stage they don,t think sadie needs a hip replacement, but did add there was a lot of degeneration around the socket area, and the likelyhood is eventually she will need one, she did point out that there is another procedure she could benefit from, and i,am sure she said it was an arthroplasty, where no prostesis is put in, she also has a lot of degeneration in her knee joints, she advised me to keep sadie on the Metacam, which seems to be helping, shes comfortable now when i pick her up, but i said could we leave out the Tramadol, and see how she fares on that alone, if she struggles then put her back on tramadol, even though she seems more comfortable, she has developed a very lopsided walk, they said they will moniter her every few months, and to keep her exercised, but not eccessive exercise, and not to let her jump, i have started giving them both omega 3 a few months ago too, so hope this might have some impact too, so there we have it. They did,nt seem to think there was anything to worry over her spine, but then she would probably need a mri for that.So think its going to be time thing, all i can hope for at this time is that her pain is controlled, and maybe try and get some pysiotherapy for the pair of them, i wish they could swim, as i was previously told it really is good for them. Anyway its not going to be easy, and i know there will be more issues ahead with both of them, but i,am ready. BRING IT ON. lol, thanks so much for caring and supporting me it really does help. Karen, Ruby and Sadie xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh that is good news (well, not exactly good but better than the most serious worries and gives you some options and some things to watch for) and as usual, Pat had the right detail in her advice. I think omega 3 always helps (plus a must for hearts in this breed I feel) and you could try a supplement with things like glucosamine/chondroitin etc. Nicki had one supplement she thought was good called Sasha's Bend, for joint health in pets -- a bit costly and had to be ordered from Australia.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karen baker View Post
    at this stage they don't think sadie needs a hip replacement, but did add there was a lot of degeneration around the socket area, and the likelihood is eventually she will need one
    Just want to caution that, at 8 years old, there is a very short window during which Sadie will be a surgical candidate before she will be too old to undergo or benefit from surgery. See the note on that link about FHO saying that elderly dogs were not surgical candidates for the procedure because of their slow healing time.

One easy thing you could do is, if she is carrying any extra weight at all, you can help her to lose it. Being on the slim side will really help as well as the supplements that you and Karlin mentioned. I also use steps for my senior dogs to get up and down on the sofa and my bed so that there is no jumping at all.

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Pat for your response, i sort of figured out that maybe time might be a problem, i work in theatres, and i know with older patients who have joint replacements, if they are not fit, the recovery can be slow, and some don,t even really get to benefit the new Hip/Knee replacement, as there mobility is not good. Sadie is 9kg, so could lose a bit more.Will read the note in the link, after i,ve posted this reply, where would i get the steps from? Karen Ruby and Sadie

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Karen, sorry Sadie is still having troubles..I used steps similar to these for Sydney. You could also use a ramp. It really does help and still gives her a little bit of independence.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ps%2Caps%2C322
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about Sadie, but I think the good news is that you don't need surgery now (and hopefully not in the future).

The glucosomine may be of help. I also give Bosco (Bad patellas) a chinese herb joint/ligament supplement that his vet prescribed. It is very inexpensive, but does need to be prescribed by a vet. The combination of the glucosomine and chinese herbs have made a world of difference in Bosco. I also closely monitor his weight, and we walk up hills to strengthen his quads. Anything to avoid surgery. He is happy and comfortable, although if we overdo his walks, I can see a slight limp. So, we do everything in moderation. If you are interested, i can get you the name of the herbs -- right now it escapes me. One would think that I could remember, since i open the bottle twice a day!

Joan

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Joyce for the link, will be perfect for both of them, anything to help them, and thank you Joan for the information on the Glucosomine, when you have time would like to know what the chinese herb is, they do both take omega 3, but i don.t want to overload them with too many different supplements, as she is on metacam at the moment.So might be wise next time i.am at the vets to advise me on this,but sounds good to me. Many thanks Karen Ruby and Sadie x

Post Thanks / Like

My Oliver takes glucosamine and chondroitin for his osteo-arthritis; I get it online from Simply Supplements, which has a pet section and does combined G and C at a reasonable price. Hyperdrug, the online pharmacy and animal supplies, does nice steps at around 16; they really do help.

Kate, Oliver and Aled