• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

patella AND hip surgery

cocosmom

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and I have been reading some threads about patella luxation, but haven't found anyone with my situation.

I have a 2 year old sweet Cav and she was recently diagnosed with bilateral patella luxation AND moderate/severe hip dysplasia. I went to 2 vets and they recommend surgery for her unfortunately. I was wondering if anyone has ever taken their Cav to have BOTH knees and BOTH hips fixed? Is it better to do both knees first and wait to do the hips later? I am very worried about the recovery process as well. If anyone has been through a similar situation, I would love to hear about your experience and how your Cav is doing, what order you fixed the knees/hips. I am scared she won't be able to walk after. :( She seems fine right now and she can walk almost normal. Occasionally she will limp temporarily when her knee pops out of place, but doesn't happen that often.

I am also concerned about the cost. It looks like it's going to cost $2500-2800 PER knee and I don't know how much the hips will cost in addition.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated... I'm pretty stressed out about this. Any particular Orange County, CA orthopaedic vets that you would recommend?

Thank you so much

Back