Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My little one (<6 mos) showing signs of SM...Heartbroken

Post Thanks / Like

He's on the 1/day pill now and he's snapping back at his butt more than ever. Pretty lazy most of the time. Scratching his neck a little more and shaking like he is wet maybe 4-5 times/walk. He's not in pain it seems, but it does seem something is bothering him back there. Eating up a storm like usual and is ALWAYS hungry. Had a problem making a bowel movement and was throwing up exactly what he ate (literally looked the same going in that it did coming out) took him to the vet and x ray'd him and he had massive blockage that the doc said looked like stone in his colon. They gave him an enema and it looks as if it cleared him out as he is "evacuating" it now. Slowly but surely.

Any advice on what I should do about his snapping backwards, fly biting, scratching neck/head? Should i just keep waiting for more evidence? When is the time to see a neurologist and commence with the outrageously priced MRI?
    Last edited by mjv305; 27th August 2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: more info

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, when I got Molly as a pup the behaviour you describe sounds similar. Eventually we found the yelping was due to luxating patella (knees popping out), this is very common in Cavaliers, has your vet checked this and hips?
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Of course I am not a vet, but i dont see it being that. He runs and jumps and likes to walk and doesnt really yelp that much. I never see him favoring his legs at all. Maybe hips. What work should I ask the vet to get done to rule out all other problems so we can tell if it is neuroloical or not?

Post Thanks / Like

Ruby was diagnosed with luxating patella at 6 months old, she did,nt limp, when she ran she yelped with pain, where the kneecaps were slipping, similar to a dislocation, very painful, this was confirmed on examination first,then a x-ray, she was operated on quite quickly, six months apart, as one kneecap was worse than the other, but she has been fine ever since, Karen, Ruby and Sadie

Post Thanks / Like

Well after sitting back and observing for some time I have found the cause of him snapping back to bite his hindquarters. My little guys lower back (by base of tail) has frequent spasms. I see it, its like his entire lower back twitches. What could that be? Should I take him to the vet for it? That is the cause of the air biting as well. He has no other symptoms of anything else. He scratches his head and neck a lot, but its both sides and i heard SM cavs only scratch one side. Is it neurological?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If he was mine, I would be taking him to a vet for a referral to a neurologist, there is obviously something wrong and I'm sure you want to get him more comfortable . It is not correct that ALL Cavaliers affected with CM/SM only scratch on one side, sometimes, especially at the beginning, but often it is both. Many affected Cavaliers do not scratch at all.

Sadly there is a lot of incorrect information on the internet, do look at http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk, and http://sm.cavaliertalk.com

MRI s are expensive, as is all veterinary treatment, we strongly advise everyone to obtain pet insurance as soon as they get their Cavalier so that decisions do not have to be made for financial reasons.
    MRI machines are incredibly expensive to buy and maintain, you are also paying for the expertise of someone to read the scans etc, plus anaesthetic monitoring.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm afraid I agree with Nicki. I would be asking for a referral to a neurologist.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi