• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Possible anal gland rupture??

cpell009

Lady seemed quite lethargic tonight, she wasn't coming to me with her toy like she usually does, and she kept licking at her bottom more than usual. I picked her up at one point and put her down and on my shirt there was a big spot of blood, mostly mixed with saliva. There is a spot less than an inch below her anus that is the source, but I can't see it clearly because of her fur and she yelps really bad if I try to touch it, and now won't let me near it. She's still eating but you can tell she's uncomfortable. I called my vet right before they closed and since it's not bleeding heavily and she still has an appetite, I am going to bring her in the morning.

I have a feeling it could be a ruptured anal gland as it is located at the 8 o'clock position under the anus. However I haven't really noticed pus or a smell, but she was licking it quite profusely so she may have got most of it. She also wasn't scooting any more than usual in the last few days so I am not sure if it's the anal gland for sure or if maybe she's got something stuck in there from playing on the weekend...let's hope I find out at the vet for sure tomorrow morning. She looks so sad :(.

Poor baby. I hope she can get comfortable for tonight. I have no experience with troubled anal glands but it sure does not sound fun.

I had to frequently have Sydney's anal glands expressed by the vet, but luckily, his never ruptured. If she seems in pain, you can try to put a warm cloth on her bum to give her some relief. Glad you are going to the vet tomorrow. Let us know how she is.

She has an abscessed anal gland. I have to give her antibiotics for two weeks and hopefully it will clear up by then. And she has to wear the cone, poor girl she is not impressed! I went and got her one of the inflatable donut ones though and she seems much more comfortable than with the plastic. I am also going to have Gracie's glands expressed when I take Lady for her check up in 2 weeks, just to be on the safe side. They both do a moderate amount of scooting so I'd rather make sure there are no problems then face this again, or worse - a rupture!

http://instagram.com/p/dhWU99puyC/

Back